Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kaprun
    Dec 2010

Camber Pro vs Epic Expert Evo

I am 40 years old and I love to do day trips on the bike at the weekend (8-10 hours per day). The trail is rocky, climb to 70% of the time. The difference in altitude for a trip is 1000-1200 meters.Now I have a hard tail Trek 8500 (2007), but I want to go to FS. The main reason is comfort. I want a light bike, good for climbing, but that is also comfortable on rocky descents.
    I wait for opinions from those who have had the chance to test on trail Epic Expert Evo and Camber.

King of Middle Earth
    The Camber sounds like a better choice for your description. It will soak up the bumps nicely. The Epic is a stiff ride and won't last as long on rough, rocky trails.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This is a really tough decision. The Epic Expert Evo has some great changes that makes it really appeal to the trail rider. 120mm travel out front, with 100 out back will mean it is a slacker than usual bike, yet pedals like a rocket. The bike will be light, handle great, and surprisingly has a pretty high bottom bracket so clearing rocks / roots won't be too bad.
    The Camber is even slacker, has great clearance as well, and has 120mm travel front and back. The Camber will be heavier, and it doesn't have the BRAIN shock which is outstanding once setup correctly.
    Tough call, but I'd personally go with the Epic Expert Evo. Love the idea of a slacked out XC / Trail bike that just wants to go fast (up and down!).

\m/ \m/
    Quote Originally Posted by wangamachang
    This is a really tough decision. The Epic Expert Evo has some great changes that makes it really appeal to the trail rider. 120mm travel out front, with 100 out back will mean it is a slacker than usual bike, yet pedals like a rocket. The bike will be light, handle great, and surprisingly has a pretty high bottom bracket so clearing rocks / roots won't be too bad.
    The Camber is even slacker, has great clearance as well, and has 120mm travel front and back. The Camber will be heavier, and it doesn't have the BRAIN shock which is outstanding once setup correctly.
    Tough call, but I'd personally go with the Epic Expert Evo. Love the idea of a slacked out XC / Trail bike that just wants to go fast (up and down!).
    Well put!!
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Dual Squishy...
    Anyone have the weights on the Epic Expert EVO? Thinking about a medium and wanted to get an idea of the weight.

mtbr member
    24.84 pounds

2014 Tallboy 2

Dual Squishy...
    Sorry, should have been more clear. Went off of Specialized site.

The M5, 26" wheeled Epic Expert EVO...

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

\m/ \m/
    I think you should rethink the 26" wheel idea. It is my opinion that 26" wheels will soon be a thing of the past on XC and trail bikes....
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade-Runner
    I think you should rethink the 26" wheel idea. It is my opinion that 26" wheels will soon be a thing of the past on XC and trail bikes....
    I have test ridden several 29ers, FS and HT. The pluses I found didn't outweigh the negatives for me. Maybe they work better for you...

Is it Friday yet?
    Let's hear it Jeepnut. What did you think the pluses and minuses were?

Dual Squishy...
    Both 29ers rolled over stuff with less effort. Maintaining momentum over rocks and roots was easier. That is the best advantage in my opinion.

For climbing steep quick hills, most of what we have around here in Va., I didn't feel any improvement. On the more technical steep hills, it felt like it was lumbering.

It was more effort to get the wheels spinning, but once they got going it was easier to maintain, but for me only for a while. Over longer efforts the additional rolling weight seemed to make the effort harder. Maybe it was me, maybe it was the different gearing, maybe it was the 29" wheels and their larger mass/weight than my 26" bikes.

And lastly, riding a 29er had a learning curve (more time on them would alleviate that). I am looking for a bike to do some racing with and maybe trails that require more finesse than brut force like my Enduro, and my '07 Enduro is my main trail bike, and I have my refurbished Bontrager SS. Not looking to replace the stable of bikes, but looking to add something to take to race day. Adjusting my riding style too much between bikes is a concern, but certainly something I would notice less with more time in the saddle.

Would love to dip into the carbon models, but even the one I am considering is above my original price range.
    Last edited by Jeepnut22; 01-20-2011 at 07:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    camber, its light enough for what you need, the epic will beat you up on rocky trails, i had one and may as well had a hard tail, got rid of it for a stumpy and it was much better for all day rocky rides

Dual Squishy...
    Through a connection my LBS has, the Medium, 26" Epic Expert EVO M5 version, weighs in at 26 lbs. even. Would be pretty easy to make it 24 lbs. or less without shoving a pile of money at it...

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnut22
    Both 29ers rolled over stuff with less effort. Maintaining momentum over rocks and roots was easier. That is the best advantage in my opinion.

For climbing steep quick hills, most of what we have around here in Va., I didn't feel any improvement. On the more technical steep hills, it felt like it was lumbering.

It was more effort to get the wheels spinning, but once they got going it was easier to maintain, but for me only for a while. Over longer efforts the additional rolling weight seemed to make the effort harder. Maybe it was me, maybe it was the different gearing, maybe it was the 29" wheels and their larger mass/weight than my 26" bikes.

And lastly, riding a 29er had a learning curve (more time on when would alleviate that). I am looking for a bike to do some racing with and maybe trails that require more finesse than brut force like my Enduro, and my '07 Enduro is my main trail bike, and I have my refurbished Bontrager SS. Not looking to replace the stable of bikes, but looking to add something to take to race day. Adjusting my riding style too much between bikes is a concern, but certainly something I would notice less with more time in the saddle.

Would love to dip into the carbon models, but even the one I am considering is above my original price range.
    Yep, steeps are my biggest concern. I might just buy a cheap 29 hard tail and see what I think.

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    camber, its light enough for what you need, the epic will beat you up on rocky trails, i had one and may as well had a hard tail, got rid of it for a stumpy and it was much better for all day rocky rides
    For me, my Enduro handles those duties, but it's a bit too much of a beast to race XC with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade-Runner
    Hehe

26 is lighter, more lively, handier.

If you have a level of correct piloting, one 26 will be more effective and pleasant than one 29.

On the other hand, if your level of piloting is low lives 29.

For me, 29 is useful only for the big men (> 180cm) to have a beautiful bike.

Concerning the problems of adhesion 26, it is enough to go up a wider tire and to ride in Notubes.

However, a bike remains a bike, to play, lively, light. Otherwise so much take one dirt bike (Honda, KTM).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    With XTR970 pedals Expert EVO in medium weighs 27.09lbs but it does come stock with Command post which is heavy.

Dual Squishy...
    ^^ 26" or 29" wheels?

superluker
    Aug 2009
    ^^ 26" or 29" wheels?
    EPIC EVO only comes in 26", EPIC EVO R comes in 26" or 29". Just sayin .

Dual Squishy...
    Interesting that Spesh says 26, and others here say 27.

mtbr member
    Interesting that Spesh says 26, and others here say 27.
    with pedals... without pedals.

kaprun
    Dec 2010
    Finally I didn't choose either of the two that I thought when I started the topic, Camber and Epic Expert Evo.
    I bought a 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert.

Dual Squishy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacke
    with pedals... without pedals.
    As delivered with plastic pedals and reflectors...

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    My large Camber Pro came in at 27lbs 15oz on the scale at my LBS w/ XT pedals, MK SS 2.4 on front and 2.2 on rear w/ Forte Ultralight tubes in both, GA1 grips, an IncrediBell, a Zee cage, and wheel reflectors and dork disk still installed at the time of weighing.

I've been incredibly happy w/ it so far. Feels plenty light to me, very efficient climbing, hugs the trail very well, seems plenty compliant over the rough stuff even w/ ProPedal on, and is very easy to launch when I want to.

I was considering the Epic Expert EVO myself but never got to ride one. I can say that at 36, rapidly approaching 37, I feel much less beat up and physically spent after spending the day out on my Camber Pro than I did after each of the 2 days I spent on an Epic Comp 29er test bike on the same trails. Posture was significantly more leaned forward on the Epic and it seemed a good bit harsher over trail chatter and big hits.

Edit: Oops, didn't notice Kaprun had already made his decision...
    Last edited by Sid Nitzerglobin; 01-23-2011 at 08:40 PM.

mtbr member

Good job!

Nice choice....great bike.
    2014 Tallboy 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast