Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

No good camber frame crack

hi..

bought a new camber frame yesterday when i try to fixup my new toy
    i found that there is a hair line crack at bb mounting
    so i sent back to get a replacement but ...........
    WTF....the replacement frame having a crack too on front tube where you fix the headset

SPEACIALIZED...world leading brand such of QC before market their frame
    im veryveryvery disappointed

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails camber frame crack-img-20120922-wa0008.jpg  

camber frame crack-img-20120922-wa0009.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wow

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    No bueno

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    yep, that's definitely a hairline crack. And it looks to have been weld repaired AFTER machining, but only one that small partial section?

Looks like the QC guy in Taiwan missed that one.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    QC guy not only missed out this frame.....
    they missed another 1 when the bikeshop try to exchange

I Ride Bikes
    Good eye! nice catch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just received my new carbon camber less than 2 weeks ago and it sure sounds like it's cracked somewhere, but I sure can't find it. But it's LOUD!
    "Ride it Like You Stole it"!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    **** happens....and that is a pretty small crack that they caught but the weld didn't fix.

It looks like a good weld too, so I wonder what is up with the crack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thats pretty shocking alright

mtbr member
    My guess is that the front triangle is assembled and the BB housing is final machined before paint. At that point if a crack is noticed the assembly is too expensive to scrap out so it was decided to rework the housing by TIG welding the crack to prevent it from opening up further. I would like to see the test data that shows that the crack will not in time split the weld repair. The ID of the housing will also be a bit ob-round due to the crack.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    got my new replacement frame....but.....
    curious why additional welding needed
    this frame on head tube......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails camber frame crack-20120925_180022-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My 2012 Evo Stumpjumper 29er frame has similar "repair welds" in the head tube. I imagine the these are to cover up and or repair the hair line cracks produced during the welding of the top and down tubes to those thin area's of the head tube. So what, ride the frame, but check those area's for cracks monthly or less, just like you should be doing anyway, and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You are saying that a user should remove their headset and bottom bracket monthly to inspect for weld and metal integrity?

I call bs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Probably one tube is welded all the way around. The next tube overlaps the welded area and is welded. You see the first tube's weld.

Other marks are just good penetration. Check for interference with the steer tube before final install.
    lean forward

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    You are saying that a user should remove their headset and bottom bracket monthly to inspect for weld and metal integrity?

I call bs.
    Um, how about just checking all the exterior welds monthly. And, the inside when you do your fork maintenance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

junk

Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix View Post
    Um, how about just checking all the exterior welds monthly. And, the inside when you do your fork maintenance.
    How about buying another brand that is not so focused on weight that they engineer a frame that fails during mfg - not acceptable to weld a crack - good luck and let us know if the head tube fails while you are riding!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Name one common name brand manufacturer of bicycle frames using aluminum that has not had any of their frames crack or break.

Name any frame manufacture that you know that does not re-weld or otherwise repair a raw frame before it is painted. Do not guess, show proof, as they will have my future business.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    The sections of weld you can see coming through the tubing are the root of the outside frame weld, usually from a bit too much heat or the tubing being a little thin. The weld itself will still be nice and strong.

I think it is pure coincidence it lined up with the hair line crack in the BB. If it were welded from the inside you would see the etched cleaning path that is produced around the bead from AC tig welding, like you can see in the fresh weld in the HT. In saying that the hairline crack may have been from incorrect preheat of material causing the crack when cooling. Alloy like to do that.

My gut feel is the weld inside the HT is a spot weld to aid assembly but I could be wrong since they should be jigged up before welding
    Last edited by brad72; 09-28-2012 at 06:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    i got giant anthem/Scott/cube/xds bike....but never saw any internal additional welding

mtbr member
    That does not look like a weld from this perspective. At the end of the hair line crack it appears to be machined out by hand at the end of the crack using a small ball grinder bit. This is common practice to prevent a crack from going further. Not to say that's acceptable on a new frame, but a repair that can be done on any frame to prevent further cracking if the crack isn't too bad in the first place.

That is why your seat tube at the post clamp has a vertical slot with a drilled hole at the bottom. This is to allow for the tube to compress slightly to put pressure on the post. If no hole, the slot would form a crack down the seat tube.
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    Well . . . if I turn my head sideways to view the photo and imagine looking down a head tube, it does look like a weld.
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    what i mean is the brand name QC and im paying thousand over USD for the frame.......

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Any updates on your frame ?
    I see some good deals on this bike, but am now concerned with this issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    holy **** somebody need tobe punched for that

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast