mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Camber 29er Rear Skewer Issue

Got my 2012 Specialized Camber 29er new in April. Love the bike, but twice now the rear skewer has come completely loose from the frame, resulting in the rear wheel locking up and injury. Lucky it wasn't serious last night. There is no nut on the axle, just the quick release lever and threads on the other side. This problem was the subject of a thread last October, but the only solution offered was to tighten it really hard. Did that last time! Is there a reliable solution? Do I need to be more specific about anything? I am not in any way a gear head.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just curious, do you check it each ride or did it come loose enough to cause the problem on just one ride? Lock-tite on the thru axle threads seems like a good fix. I also have a camber and only once have I noticed that the back axle was a little loose. I have made a habit of checking both front and back wheel skewers before every ride..even 30 minute cruises around the neighborhood. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have not been checking it, but will in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Is your shop close? That is a veeeerry serious issue, and shouldn't be happening. It's always a good idea to check your skewers, but you shouldn't have to.

There might also be a little screw visible when the lever is open. Tighten this, and it will tighten the cam action when the lever closes. Note that I don't have that bike, so I'm assuming the thru-axle is similar to mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    P.S. you are tightening it, then flipping the lever to "lock" it, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I like the DT RWS skewer that came on the rear of my new 2012 so much I have just lashed out and bought one for the front (see dt swiss thru bolt vs. dt swiss RWS mtb skewers vs. regular skewer). I wasn't really aware of these until I read about it in this thread. Got this one: DT Swiss RWS MTB Steel | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com . Expecting it to stiffen up the front end a bit. We'll see.

I have also just bought this 200 x 51 as a spare shock: Fox Suspension Float RP23 Rear Shock 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com . It is an M velocity tune with 225 in the boost valve - I figure this will suit the leverage ratio of the Camber frame (4 to 1 from memory) and also my weight (195 lbs).

Pretty cheap spare IMHO. Especially as the OEM Triad is already playing up and needs to go off to Fox central for a big service, according to my dealer.

I had to buy a lower bushing kit for it, as an extra, from here Heavy Duty Mount Kits, 12.7mm - for Fox etc - TF Tuned Shox . Needed to be precise about the sizing.

Fitted it all up and rode around the street jumping gutters, seems to work well. I am looking forward to getting it out on the single track and seeing whether it is as good a platform as the Triad (which is excellent, by the way).