mtbr member
    May 2008

Camber 2016

Here we go folks:

Specialized Camber 29er | Seite 53 | MTB-News.de

Camber with Brain and trunk

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Bikerumor has a nice write up on it as well.

Destination Trail: Specialized Introduces All New Camber with a Brain

I like the look of it. Looks like they basically made a shorter traveled Stumpy and added the brain.

mtbr member
    The 2016 Camber an interesting looking bike. It's morphed into something between a Stumpjumper FSR and a long travel Epic. A few years ago the Camber used to be the "more affordable" full suspension bike in the range if you wanted a cheaper bike than a Stumpjumper FSR. At $9,800 USD for a 2016 S-Works Camber it now seems to be positioned as a high end Specialized model in its own right.

In the Bikerumor article it says that the 2016 Camber main triangle is actually exactly the same as the 2016 Stumpjumper FSR main triangle. They designed it so that they could use the same main triangle with SWAT internal compartment across multiple bikes.

"If the front triangle looks familiar, that’s because it probably is. Calling it their FACT Carbon Trail Chassis, the front triangle is the same as that used on the Stumpjumper FSR. The fact that it was originally meant to be used for more than one bike was part of the reason Specailzied says they were able to pursue the idea of SWAT. Because of the challenges of building a frame that was just as strong and stiff with a giant hole in it, the project started with tooling they knew would likely have to be scrapped – which isn’t cheap. After starting the SWAT project in late 2011, it was finally ready for the launch of the new Stumpjumper FSR and now expands to the Camber as well." Bikerumor

Although at first glance this new Camber seems close to an Epic with 120mm travel the brain rear shock functions differently to the current Epic brain rear shock:

"To Specialized, that meant the inclusion of the Brain for the rear suspension but this isn’t just a plug and play from the Epic. Instead, the Camber uses the first position-sensitive Micro Brain from specialized which doesn’t actually engage until you hit the bike’s sag point. Essentially that leaves the first 25% of the travel open for absorbing small chatter, but still provides a firm platform when pedaling hard. Calling it the first Trail Brain, the design also aids in climbing since your weight is shifted back on the bike and the inertia valve is activated. To obtain a better trail feel out of the original Brain the unit has new tuning plus a new Spike valve that is found from here on out on all Brains and even the custom RockShox RS1 for the Camber. If the shim stack can’t keep up with the oil flow during a fast hit, the Spike valve allows oil to dump at a higher speed to prevent hydraulic lock and allows faster cycling of the Brain." Bikerumor

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/07/05/...-with-a-brain/

On the current Epic brain rear shock the platform is applied throughout the stroke, whereas this Camber brain rear shock has the first 25% of rear shock travel with no brain platform. This is either going to be awesome or a bobby mess when pedalling.

I guess it sidesteps any brain warranty claims from now on.

"There's no brain platform on my shock".

"It's supposed to work like that".

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    They've pigeon holed it too much. The beauty of the current bike is that you can run a slightly longer fork, a Monarch RT3, Evo or standard shock extension etc and tune it to a hardcore XC or short travel trail bike.

It's gone way to far in the direction of the Epic. I guess the Cali guys will love it but the current bikes unique range of abilities has been lost.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I want this with a CCDB and 140mm Pike. Please? Great geometry, and should be a ripper, but I don't want the brain stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Available in four sizes and in carbon or aluminum, all of the carbon models including the Carbon S-Works, Expert Carbon Elite Carbon, and Comp Carbon will ship 1x with either a 28 or 32t ring. The Comp Alloy and Camber will use aluminum frames without SWAT and ship 2×9 or 2×10. All of the carbon models will also include the new Specialized Command Post IRcc with Cruiser Control which is still a pre-set height seat post, but one that offers 10 different middle positions to make it easier to find the right height. The Camber Comp Carbon also serves as the cut off point for the new Trail Brain with all other bikes receiving a custom rear shock with a different yoke.

Pricing:

SW Camber FSR Carbon 29 – $9800
    SW Camber FSR Carbon 29 Module – $7300 (frame, fork & wheels)
    SW Camber FSR Carbon 650b – $9800
    SW Carbon FSR 650b Module – $7300 (frame, fork & wheels)
    Camber FSR Expert Carbon 29 – $6200
    Camber FSR Expert Carbon 650b – $6200
    Camber FSR Comp Carbon 29 – $3800
    Camber FSR Comp Carbon 650b – $3800

Camber FSR Comp 29 – $2500
    Camber FSR Comp 650b – $2500
    Camber FSR 29 – $1850
    Camber FSR 650b – $1850
    Camber FSR GROM – $2200
    well at least the models I can afford skip the brain "feature"!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The Spike valve sounds interesting. If it blows off at decent pressure to reduce the hit from an initial bump, it might be a great improvenent.

I don't know if it can't match the performance of the Re:aktiv shock at that transition point, but it will be great to test.

mtbr member
    Would be a good race rig on gnarlier trails. Would not want brain or inverted fork but glad they are finally offering a 650b variety.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    I want this with a CCDB and 140mm Pike. Please? Great geometry, and should be a ripper, but I don't want the brain stuff.
    Buy the Stumpy (same main frame) and get a CCDB.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Expert looks awesome! Black and gold yellow

mtbr member
    May 2008

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Buy the Stumpy (same main frame) and get a CCDB.
    do they have non-fox shocks for the stumpy? I'd rather have the 120mm than 140mm, but that's still tolerable. I could probably even short shock it if I wanted to get crazy

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks dirkhino for posting that link. Why is it that we can only see the info on the new Cambers in German? Nothing about the new Cambers shows up on the English website.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluddy View Post
    Thanks dirkhino for posting that link. Why is it that we can only see the info on the new Cambers in German? Nothing about the new Cambers shows up on the English website.
    here we go:

Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Camber 2016-2a6b75f.jpg

yum!

mtbr member
    Camber is essentially what the Stumpjumper was a few years ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Camber is essentially what the Stumpjumper was a few years ago.
    Yeah, just with significantly different geometry and ride characteristics, but other than that it's essentially the same....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I think what he means is where its role is in the lineup. For me this new Camber is very enticing, specifically the comp carbon. I want a bit more bike than my current 100mm 29er, and initially I was looking at the new stumpjumper. But this fits the bill even better for me as it gives me more of what I want without going too far. I'll have to ride them both, but I feel the Stumpy may be too much bike for most of my riding and this might be perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    +1, my 650b cannondale rush was set up with 115rr/130fr and it was one of the most capable and fun to ride bikes I've owned. A bike that pedals as well, with the better rollover and speed carrying of 29ers plus better suspension kinematics that's lighter and stiffer is really, really enticing. I think that's all the travel you really need. I'd be all over the transition smuggler but I'd like my next bike to be as light as possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Dirt Rag admitted (in the comments even though they haven't fixed the article *arg*) that they screwed up and weighed the Camber S-Works with a tube and the SWAT wraps in the bike.

So the 27.7lbs should be closer to 27.2ish assuming 200-250g for a tube and 50g for SWAT wraps. If this is true, it's better but still a bit surprising it isn't lighter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker831 View Post
    Yeah, just with significantly different geometry and ride characteristics, but other than that it's essentially the same....
    Oh come on, my 2008 Stumpjumper had 120 mm of travel and was a light-duty trail bike. That is the Camber's niche now. The Stumpy now is what the Enduro was back then too. They are even using the same front triangles for both bikes now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    Dirt Rag admitted (in the comments even though they haven't fixed the article *arg*) that they screwed up and weighed the Camber S-Works with a tube and the SWAT wraps in the bike.

So the 27.7lbs should be closer to 27.2ish assuming 200-250g for a tube and 50g for SWAT wraps. If this is true, it's better but still a bit surprising it isn't lighter.
    that's still fairly heavy, considering I've seen carbon enduros built up to around there, and the BMC trailfox comes from the factory at 27.07 with 6 inches of travel...

27.2 for a bike with a $2k fork and top of the line everything?

mtbr member
    Maybe all that brain garbage adds weight.

mtbr member
    I really interested in a frame only 650b option. Throw a 140mm pike up front and a monarch plus in the rear and it would be a short travel trail slayer! Basically a Specialized version of the SC 5010 and Yeti sb5c.
    13 Stumpy Evo, 14 Fatboy, 15 P.3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast