mtbr member
    Oct 2004

cadence sensor on Epic

Anybody using Polar cadence sensor on their Epic?
    Where/how did you install it?
    Seems to me it would be very exposed and easily broken if fitted on the downtube as suggested in installation manual.

jackie

FPC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hi - I attach it to the seat tube above the front deraileur collar pointing out to the non-drive side and backward and it works fine - the downtube seems foolish to me as well - I've used it mostly on C-Dales with monster downtubes so I never even tried it there

btw - the polar cadence magnet in my experience is terrible - first the magnet itself is so weak that you have to have the sensor lined up very close to get it to work and second the zip tie breaks and or doesn't stay in place and the glue doesn't last and third if you do break or lose (I've done both) no one carries them so you need to order another and they aren't cheap (for what they are) or fast to get - for a cleaner look and less hassle/finickyness search for "rare earth magnets" on line and order a few - they come in every shape and size and are like less than a dollar each - what you want to get is one that will sit on the inside of your crank arm at the inside end of the pedal spindle - if your spindle in hollow then maybe a ball shaped magnet would be best if the inside of the spindle is flat then a disc shaped magnet - make sure the diameter is close to the same as if not samller than the end of your spindle - I'd get a few different sized ones and err on the side of smaller and thinner the better because these magnets are super strong (which make the sensor pick up signal easy and from more a distance but also my magnet will sometimes grab my chain - I went with like the second thinest disc I could find and the next thinner would've been fine) - You cannot use a magnet on a titanium spindle and supposedly stainless sleel is hit or miss but mine are stainless and I've had no problem - i'll usually put a small piece of electrical tape over the magnet to keep it sitting flat on the spindle but really this set up is 100% easier and longer lasting than the polar magnet - just like the sensor up on the seat tube at the same height as the magnet on spindle - also I'll usually put a thin strip of electrical tape under the bottom zip tie to keep the sensor from sliding downward - don't use the rubber pads under the sensor - no need - hope that helps

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks FPC!
    very usefull info on cadence magnet!

Quote Originally Posted by FPC
    Hi - I attach it to the seat tube above the front deraileur collar pointing out to the non-drive side and backward
    This is exactly how I set it up. Done 2 rides over the weekend - works OK. (and the magnet is still there :-))

--
    Jackie