mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Cable guides too big on 05' Spec. Epic M4. What gives??

I'm in the process of building an XL 05' Epic M4. Last night when checking to see if my rear caliper hose was long enough, I noticed that the cable guides where the hose is supposed to sit was too big. The hose sits in it, but the opening is too big so it falls right out. I'm installing M960 XTR dual-control levers and calipers which are pre-bled and ready to install. Do I need "tie-wraps" for these ( there are 3 total from the back brake to the handlebars)? The frame is for Disc only.

Thanks in advance

bang
    you don't need zip-ties. there are plastic sleeves that you put on the hoses to make them fit nice and tight in the cable stops. i bought a complete bike, and they came in a small bag of miscellaneous items. i suppose you can just go down to your lbs and ask for a couple. at the very least, they should be able to get them for you no problem.

i don't know if the seatstay guide is different for the '05 vs the '03, but you'll need a zip-tie there. as an alternative, there are some neat plastic c-clips that you could also use (noticed these on my dad's trek 4900). jagwire sells these; your lbs can probably give you one also.
    Last edited by Cyco-Dude; 03-23-2006 at 01:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    These sleeves you talk about, can I put them on without sliding them onto the hose? The hose is already connected and bled, I'd like to avoid disconnecting it and having to re-bleed. In other words, can the sleeves just "snap-on" to the hose?

Thanks
    Last edited by kehops; 03-23-2006 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The sleeves are split. You just clip them over the brake hose and slide them into the guides. Takes about 3 seconds.