mtbr member

Good job! Buying a Stumpy FSR not a mistake

Well I pulled the trigger and just bought the Stumpy FSR. I haven't built it yet so I will have to get a report out when I do. I just couldn't resist it. The one I test rode felt so good. I am stoked to build mine tonight and gev'er a spin tomorrow. Thanks for the input on my other thread.

Is buying a SJ FSR a mistake?
    [SIZE="4"]`..><((((>`..`..`...><((((>`..`..`...><((((> `.. `.. [/SIZE]

mtbr member

Finaly a chance to ride!

Ok so I finally got a chance to take the New bike out for a few rides. I have to say it is a dream and I am so glad I made the purchase. I ended up getting the base model SJ FSR and then just upgraded some parts. The first thing I did is put all Sram 9.0 on it so now she has a sweet drive train. Next to go were the P.O.S. Pedals and they were replaced by some Time Carbons. Put on a Thompson Seatpost and Stem as well as a Carbon Monkey Lite bar. The bike is a beauty.

I took it out on my first ride and immediately felt at home. The geometry feels great to me. I am 5'11'' and am on the Large. The second thing I noticed about this bike is how smooth and active the rear suspension is. I love the way it just seems to float over rough terrain. I felt like it was way too active under pedaling my first ride but simply added a little air for the subsequent rides. I weigh 155 and had 155 lbs. of air for my first ride by the third ride I am now up to 170 lbs. in the shock and I am amazed that it still feels as active yet now pedals like a dream. The front fork is a perfect match for this bike. It is easily tunable and simple. I think it is ideal and that is all I have to say about that.

I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get this baby up to some of the more technical and longer trails in the area. In a few weeks shell have here virgin run in moab and I think shell be perfect. I guess all I can say is that this bike is all I expected and then some. Anyone looking to pull the trigger on one should do so in my opinion. This is a great trailbike with just the right balance between an XC racer and a DH rig.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kadeater
    Ok so I finally got a chance to take the New bike out for a few rides. I have to say it is a dream and I am so glad I made the purchase. I ended up getting the base model SJ FSR and then just upgraded some parts. The first thing I did is put all Sram 9.0 on it so now she has a sweet drive train. Next to go were the P.O.S. Pedals and they were replaced by some Time Carbons. Put on a Thompson Seatpost and Stem as well as a Carbon Monkey Lite bar. The bike is a beauty.

I took it out on my first ride and immediately felt at home. The geometry feels great to me. I am 5'11'' and am on the Large. The second thing I noticed about this bike is how smooth and active the rear suspension is. I love the way it just seems to float over rough terrain. I felt like it was way too active under pedaling my first ride but simply added a little air for the subsequent rides. I weigh 155 and had 155 lbs. of air for my first ride by the third ride I am now up to 170 lbs. in the shock and I am amazed that it still feels as active yet now pedals like a dream. The front fork is a perfect match for this bike. It is easily tunable and simple. I think it is ideal and that is all I have to say about that.

I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get this baby up to some of the more technical and longer trails in the area. In a few weeks shell have here virgin run in moab and I think shell be perfect. I guess all I can say is that this bike is all I expected and then some. Anyone looking to pull the trigger on one should do so in my opinion. This is a great trailbike with just the right balance between an XC racer and a DH rig.

Good to hear. What's with the drivetrain change? Not a fan of Shimano? I have considered making the switch myself but I can't justify the cost difference.

For me, the BB7's were really lacking, so I upgraded them to the Hayes HFX-9 Hydros.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    Good to hear. What's with the drivetrain change? Not a fan of Shimano? I have considered making the switch myself but I can't justify the cost difference.

For me, the BB7's were really lacking, so I upgraded them to the Hayes HFX-9 Hydros.
    My brakes have been great. They still don't feel like they are broke in real good but I think they will be golden. As for the drive train, I don't like shimano. I pretty much guarantee you that if you switch to Sram you will like it better for a couple of reasons:

1. Sram has a faster, more crisp, faster feel than shimano due to a much stiffer spring in the derailleur.
    2. Sram stays in tune longer and through more abuse than the shimano will. Last season on my freeride rig I adjusted my derailleurs when I built the bike and then again after about 5 rides. That was it for the whole year. That bike still shifts perfect every time and it gets beat hard.
    3. Deore shifters = P.O.S. you will probably upgrade your shifters anyhow so why not go to Sram. Plus the Sram shifters allow you to keep your index and middle finger on the brake leaver all the time. You never have to drop your index finger back to shift.
    4. Look at what Specialized and a lot of other bike companies are putting on there nicest bikes......SRAM.

I think there is a large amount of personal preference in choosing between the two but I really think Sram is a superior setup.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Glad to hear about the sweet ride! I wish I had one!

Im still in the Shimano mode, Its hard when you have spare shimano parts laying around. But I just ordered some SRAM rocket shifters and 990 cassettes/chain. I got tired of having to decide between braking or shifting. I hope its worth it cus I just got 2 sets for my xc and unbuilt enduro.