mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Buying a New (used) Bike need help

Hello,

please help a newb!

I am looking to pick up a new bike. I met a guy on a trail and he mentioned he was selling his bike. here is what he emailed me in regards to specs. i am really not informed about the going prices on used bikes. I really want to get into a full suspension bike. I am currently riding a 2007 specialized hardrock disc. Any insight into this deal would be greatly appreciated!

He initially wanted 1500$ but was not ready to sell 6 months ago. he just emailed me and now wants 2,000$. I was thinking i could get into a new 11 SJ 29'er for a little bit more. Btw im 6'2 225lbs.

She's a 2008 Specialized FSR XC, M4 Alloy, with a ton of upgrades and is an XL in size- (which is typically 30% more expensive than what you see quoted on this model- if you can even find them) Also, I just had the front forks (marzocchi 700SL retro XC $750) rebuilt with all new stanchions, new top crown, new steering tube, new springs and seals from Marzocchi last week and then I had X-Fusion dial in my rear shock for my weight (235lbs) about 3 weeks ago when I was up in Monterey Bay. So, it's like there's a fresh set of suspension (front and rear) on her and she rides like a dream. Better than when it was new by far! And then as you may remember, I have recently put on the new Mavic SX Wheelset ($550) with tubeless tires. As well, there's a new set of Specialized ERGO team grips, Carbon Bar ends, brand new raceface team series chain, and I upgraded to an 8" Hayes hydraulic disc in the front and 7" hydraulic in the back, an XT team series 11/32 gear cluster in the rear and new pivot bushings in all four pivots. Basically, the bike is new again other than some cosmetic scratches. I've had it about two years now- and it is in perfect condition still. Also, I just put on a new 110 mm bar stem and a brand new black Cane Creek headset with fresh roller bearings. And, I'm sure I am forgetting some other stuff too....

here is more stuff he said was added recently

it has a new black toupe comp pro saddle 195$, platform comp pedals 100$, Marzocchi 700sl 5" adjustable front forks 740$, mavic SX tubeless pro comp wheels 500$, and then new tires and other incidentals too.

mtbr member
    I think you can buy a new 2011 Camber for less then $1900 from a Specialized dealer. I would look around a little.
    Pedal Dammit!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Do you think the Camber is better bike? Do you have any idea if the price he is asking is fair?
    I am having a hard time making a decision because from what i read 29er Sj sounds like a great bike, but is more than i can spend right now

I was trying to save some money by going with this used 26. He emailed me back and said he would do 1500$ but he would swap out the wheels and saddle. I am confused and not sure what to do.

waiting for a piece (.45)
    I would say that the Camber is waaaay more fun to ride than the FSR XC.... and as mentioned already you can get one for the same price AND in comes with a lifetime warranty on the main triangle, 3 years (with due maintenance) on the rear suspension components AND 1 year on everything else....

Get the Camber, sleep well at night and ride happier!

mtbr member
    If it was an 09/10 FSRxc it might be a better deal, but if I was you I'd go with a new Camber. The 08 FSRxc is a 100mm bike, and it rides like it (not a bad thing in flat areas). The camber is a 120mm bike, but it feels like it has more travel than that when decending, but it still climbs really nice too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for all the input. I have alot to think about. If i cann get the used bike for 1500 or less do you think its a good deal minus the wheels and saddle?

the camber looks great but after taxes im probably going to be out 2400$ for the 29er does this sound right ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch
    If it was an 09/10 FSRxc it might be a better deal, but if I was you I'd go with a new Camber. The 08 FSRxc is a 100mm bike, and it rides like it (not a bad thing in flat areas). The camber is a 120mm bike, but it feels like it has more travel than that when decending, but it still climbs really nice too.
    yeah I would second that. $1500 seems a lot for a used 08 FSR XC.

Why put all those new parts on it then want to sell? Probably because he realises its still a 100mm FSR underneath.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Asta
    yeah I would second that. $1500 seems a lot for a used 08 FSR XC.

Why put all those new parts on it then want to sell? Probably because he realises its still a 100mm FSR underneath.

I do not think the parts are new. he made it sound that way but i think he has been riding on them for a while. i guess that gives more validity to your opinion of it being worth less than 1500$.

Maybe I can throw a offer at him just not sure how much. I do not want to be a jerk.

Thanks again for the help!

Go SOLAR...
    2008 FSR XC for $2k....hell no. I don't care what he has on it. I just picked up a 2008 stumpy fsr comp for the wife and it was $1300...bike was like new
    If you have $1500 to spend I would look at the Camber's. Great bikes and will serve you well.
    I owned a FSRxc 2006....wasn't the best bike spesh has put out. IMO
    Go Solar...

mtbr member
    What everyone else said....
    2014 Tallboy 2

psycho cyclo addict
    I'm all for purchasing a used bike- saves you a lot on depreciation if you can deal with a few scratches and dents. It is a buyer's market on eBay in the winter time. I recommend you see what is out there and have someone knowledgeable that you trust assist with deciding what's a good component mix and price.