mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Buy New Bike or Refurb Old....

Hi,

I have a 1993 Stumpjumper FS (hardtail) that I has been sitting untouched in my garage for 5 years. Right before this I had it all tuned up and working fine. Prior to that, it was sitting in my apartment for several years, hardly getting used.

I am trying to get back into biking now that I am moving to an area where there are a lot of trails and I'll have a lot more free time. I was wondering if I should just give this bike a total overhaul (brakes, suspension, wheels, etc) or just get a new one. I am (or was) a pretty aggressive rider and plan on doing a lot of intense trails (eventually). I was thinking of maybe getting the Mongoose Teocali Elite or KHS AM1000.

Is my previous bike worth the upgrage of parts to get it working as effecitively as one of these newer bikes? I don't mind spending the extra money for the newer bike but I was thinking that if my frame is good on my Stumpy then I can maybe invest in a lot of great parts... I dunno... Any advice?

Thanks!

BigDridesBigS
    Oct 2005

My 2 cents = buy a new one

Two years ago I went through the same dilema. I had a 97 Rockhopper that my wife gave me as a birthday present. I hadn't riden it for a couple of years and wanted to get back into the sport. I spent $800 initially for a new Marz fork, new drive-train, tires, seat and tune-up. I rode for a few months and loved the front fork, enjoyed the trails, and my skills grew. I started going faster on more challenging trails and then thinks started to break. As my interest in the sport grew I realized I wanted a full suspension bike. I started saving $$ in Nov. 2004. After another $400 for new wheels and cranks I decided enough was enough on the old beast. I finally purchased my new 06 Stumpy FSR in October of 2005. I love the new ride and its brought my riding level and enjoyment of the trail up a few notches. Disk brakes are the sh!t. Long story short, if I had not put the $1200 into the old bike that had sentimental value, I could have bought my new ride maybe 6 month earlier. The sooner the better for a new ride. Don't delay the joy you will get from a new bike. GO FOR IT!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the advice! That's the way I am leaning... I love my old bike but I think I should take the plunge and get a nice new one.

mtbr member

Buy a new Ride but Keep your old Stumpjumper

Invisible Sun, I agree you should buy a new ride but If you can keep the old bike I hope you will. Clean it up and keep it around for a vintage ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I definitely will! It was a gift from my parents on my 21st b-day.... Oh, the memories...

mtbr member

Great Memories of 1993 Stumpjumper

Thats a great story-these bikes do have their own memories. Good luck on your new purchase. Consider a FSR Stumpjumper. Take care.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wick
    Thats a great story-these bikes do have their own memories. Good luck on your new purchase. Consider a FSR Stumpjumper. Take care.

Yeah, I would love another Stumpjumper, especially the FSR. We'll see - a pit pricey right now for me. I was thinking of getting the Mongoose Teocali Elite for like $1600. Got a good write-up in Bicycling magazine... Although, I guess I should ride it first.