mtbr member

Building a 2006 Specialized Enduro Elite on a budget

Documenting my budget build of a 2006 Enduro Elite. I am fairly new to the mountain bike scene and upgrading from a 2010 Hardrock disc to an as inexpenisve as possible Enduro Elite.

Ill keep this up to date on my progress and any help or suggsetions would be great!

Started out picking up a used frame from ebay.

Seller claimed it had some rear triangle damage and I was hoping he was a bike snob and they would be minor and ridable or repairable at least. Took a chance.

Unfortunalty it is as bad as described. Probably repairable but Im not sure what Im going to do on that. Leaning to replacing the rear altogether.

As for parts....

Im planning to source several parts from my Hardrock and then find deals on others.

Fist purchase was the rear shock. 2007 never used Fox Float RP3.

Second purchase: Used set of Avid Juicy 7s from online. (wheels and rotors will come from Hardrock)

Third Purchase: New, but from a private owner, Race face double crankeset with bash and bottom bracket.

Jenson order arrived!!! Nothing very top of the line but its getting exciting and close!!!

Rear triangle finally installed. Rear pivot (near the drop outs) bearings were the biggest nightmare ever. After about 4 hours and 2 trips to LBS got 3 new ones and 1 used one installed. Fork installed, that took only a few minutes.

Last edited by eleminohpee; 03-11-2011 at 02:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Made a order for most parts needed from JensonUSA. Hopefully will arrive before the weekend!!

mtbr member
    Stripped off wheelswt, rear X9 derailleur, chain, rotors, handle bars (my raceface bars are on back order), pedals, and X7 Shifters from my hardrock. Im putting the Hardrock mostly back to stock. Stock rims, but with wave 160mm rotors. I did upgrade to BB7s brakes on it so those with stay. Left the X9 front derailleur as it is top pull and the Enduro uses bottom pull. With the Jenson order I also picked up a easton stem that will go back on the hardrock but is being used on the Enduro as a temp till the raceface bars come in from back order, then the new raceface stem can be put onto the enduro.

mtbr member
    Rear triangle finally installed. Rear pivot (near the drop outs) bearings were the biggest nightmare ever. After about 4 hours and 2 trips to LBS got 3 new ones and 1 used one installed. Fork installed, that took only a few minutes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Did you go through Specialized directly for your new rear triangle? How much was it? I have a small dent on my seatstay

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Awesome thread!

@OP-

I'm super interested in an Enduro (wish I could shell out for a 2010 at my LBS) but on a college student budget. Could you give me a price breakdown so I know where to set my sights and let me know what your final build weight is?

Most appreciated!

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Awesome thread!

@OP-

I'm super interested in an Enduro (wish I could shell out for a 2010 at my LBS) but on a college student budget. Could you give me a price breakdown so I know where to set my sights and let me know what your final build weight is?

Most appreciated!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PembyCW
    Did you go through Specialized directly for your new rear triangle? How much was it? I have a small dent on my seatstay
    I called Specialized directly but they said I need to go through a LBS Specialized dealer. There they called and made sure they were in stock and they were 109.99 each for the seat stay and the chain stay. They eneded up giving me them for 100 each out the door including tax.

In hindsight I think I should have repalced the chain stay with the most damage and saved the money on the chainstay and just had it repaired, but really only because I have friends that could have welded it for free.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mavclimber
    @OP-

Most appreciated!
    I havent weighed it. Honestly I never cared about the weight but if I do get a chance to get a weight measurement on it Ill post it for you.

Price Break Down

Frame (eBay and damaged)........................................$1 00
    New rear triangle (Specialized via LBS)........................$200
    Wheelset (Craigslist)...................................... .............$90
    Tires (online).......................................... .....................$60
    Tubes (online).......................................... ...................$10
    Brakes (online community marketplace)......................$100
    Rotors and brackets (craigslist)...................................$60
    Fork (online).......................................... ....................$175
    Headset (online).......................................... ................$35
    Bars (ebay)............................................ ....................$15
    Stem (online community marketplace)..........................$15
    Shifters (online community marketplace).......................$30
    Grips (online).......................................... ....................$25
    Jagwire shifter cable kit (online).....................................$22
    Rear shock (craigslist)...................................... .........$100
    Crankset w/BB (online community marketplace)...........$115
    Pedals (LBS)............................................. .................$22
    Mud flap (LBS)............................................. ...............$18
    Seatpost (eBay)............................................ ..............$20
    Saddle (online).......................................... ..................$30
    Front derailleur (online).......................................... .......$25
    Chain (LBS)............................................. ...................$22
    Rear cassette (friend).......................................... .........$30
    Rear derailluer (online community marketplace)..............$40

Total build............................................. ...................$1359

Some of that was pulled off my old bike. About $300-$400 worth of it.
    Last edited by eleminohpee; 05-06-2011 at 10:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Also I realized I havent posted any complete pics yet cause Ive been to busy riding it. Ill get some on my next ride.

mtbr member
    bike in the mud

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sweet bike. hope you're enjoying it. I've only ridden mine a handful of times.

have you thought about getting an adjustable seatpost? one of my favorite parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider
    Sweet bike. hope you're enjoying it. I've only ridden mine a handful of times.

have you thought about getting an adjustable seatpost? one of my favorite parts.
    Adjustable seat post is going to be my next major purchase. It would have gone onto this one but after about 3/4 of the way done my work slowed down and they switched me from salary full time to hourly part time.

it hasnt been getting ridden as much as I wish it would have. Being part time at work I cant ride during the day because I have to be on call in case work shows up. (basically full time on call for part time pay) and then going to school 8 units, a 1 year old daughter and finishing up home renovations that were started before the my kid was born doesnt leave much riding time. Still getting about 8-12 miles in on most weekends though.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i love it when people say they haven't been getting much riding time but are still getting more than me. lol.

adjustable seatpost is great. no stopping and getting off. hit the switch and ride!

mtbr member
    nice bike! I ride the same bike. This is my 3rd enduro, they are really plush rides, as you should already know. Mines all stock except the rear shock which is a RS Pearl, perform 100x better than the stock dhx 4.0, the stem/bars changed out and seat is a Terry. I want to upgrade the wheeset asap. Enjoy your ride!

mtbr member

build

Quote Originally Posted by eleminohpee
    I havent weighed it. Honestly I never cared about the weight but if I do get a chance to get a weight measurement on it Ill post it for you.

Price Break Down

Total build............................................. ...................$1359
    Thanks, eleminohpee! That's about a grand under new, and close to what I have saved. Sounds like I will have a new ride in no time and just need to put in some internet shopping time. Good luck with everything on your plate right now, and happy trails.