Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well broken chainstay photo '07 stumpy fsr

For anyone who is interested here is a picture of my '07 stumpy fsr broken chainstay. Pretty freaky break spot for not being hit with anything. I'm pretty sure spesh is going to warranty it out without any issues though. I'll keep you guys updated with their customer service. My LBS is being great about it so far though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    sorry. technical difficulties. i'll have it up in a minute.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

pic

sorry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Cripes!! - An unusual place for a chainstay to snap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    HOLY@*%#!!!! How did that happen???

Two wheels are best
    I hope they take care of you and replace it!

The warranty info states that the rear section isn't covered by the Lifetime warranty and I've heard of a couple of people who had to buy a replacement...
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

!
    Yes I have heard the same thing that Specialized considers the front triangle the "frame".
    I AM WE TODD DID

I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by Futon River Crossing
    Cripes!! - An unusual place for a chainstay to snap.
    Yeah...weird....maybe one of his pivots were seized up or at least having some binding issues cuz that is a weird place.

mtbr member
    Wow! that’s a first I always thought the Stumpy was one of those bikes that never brakes, unlike the 2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX which you have no chance of not braking. Not that I’m comparing the number of breakages.

I’m very sorry about the bike as I know how useless spesh is with customer service and warranty things.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    “Broke the chainstay cleanly in half on my 2007 stumpy expert today under normal riding conditions and I was wondering if anybody else has had that happen. My LBS is going to warranty it out for me. There was no dent or anything and it wasn't on a weld. I just went over a little jump and that was it. Crappy since it was only my second ride on a new set of xt cranks because I broke the ones that came on the bike last week!” rizkid48

“The crank was bizarre though. I was standing up hammering in my big ring and the chain came off on the outside wrapping around the pedal and pulling it out” rizkid48

I bet when you ripped your crankset off the spindle you damaged the chainstay

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Maybe. I went off a little 2 foot jump with a normal landing when the chainstay broke. There were no dents or noticeable damage to the chainstay though. It just cracked. The bike is only 9 months old. I just talked to my LBS and specialized is taking care of it. They're two daying out a chainstay so I should be riding again by Wednesday or Thursday. So kudos to specialized for taking care of it. I really don't think it should have broken there. Someone was telling me there was probably a defect in the aluminum--a thin spot or something.
    I had just had my bike in for a full tune up about a week before too. I'm really happy they're taking care of it though. I love that bike. Little plug to my LBS for taking care of it so quick—Thanks DJ and Sonoma Bicycle Company—he also owns Santa Rosa Cyclery which has always been very good to me too.

LCD
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sorry to revive an old thread but I thought it was better than starting a new one on the same topic.

I broke the chainstay on my '07 Stumpy FSR. Sure enough, they consider that part of the suspension (1 yr warranty) not the "frame." How freaking lame is that? (Both that it broke and that it wasn't covered.)

A fat lot of good a "lifetime" warranty does if only half the frame is covered. I looked at a bunch of other major manufacturer's warranties and didn't see anything like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Other Dude
    i never understood that terminology either......i mean when you buy a frame from specialized, they don't just send you the front triangle.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Quote Originally Posted by LCD

I broke the chainstay on my '07 Stumpy FSR. Sure enough, they consider that part of the suspension (1 yr warranty) not the "frame." How freaking lame is that? (Both that it broke and that it wasn't covered.)
    That blows. A pro model? I'm guessing you paid well over 3k for it. I'd be highly pissed too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    That's exactly the same place almost to the millimeter!!! It just shouldn't brake there. Has to be a defect in the frame.

Lame from spesh for not replacing it.

mtbr member

Defect?

Sorry to revive an old thread but I thought it was better than starting a new one on the same topic.

A fat lot of good a "lifetime" warranty does if only half the frame is covered. I looked at a bunch of other major manufacturer's warranties and didn't see anything like this.
    My '07 Stumpy Expert developed a crack in just about the same place on the chainstay earlier this year. Specialized did replace it under warranty. My bike shop mechanic said he's seen chainstay breaks happen on both Stumpys and Enduros.

Sounds like this may be a defect.

LCD
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yeah, I'm not too impressed with their policy/support on this one, especially since it seems that there are enough of these out there with the same issue that it is a design flaw. It wasn't worth fighting since to the letter of their warranty it is not covered and Spesh is not exactly known for their stellar CS. In the end it will cost me less than $150 including replacing the rear tire that got trashed.

I really like the way the bike rides but this is leaving a sour taste in my mouth and does have me considering selling it and going a different route.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I did not know abiout that policy either.

This is the first I have ever heard aboiut the back half of the frame not being part of the frame. At least they are selling a replacement rear triangle at a price that I actually believe is close to thier cost. If fixing the break and a new tire cost him 150 they probably charged him 100 dollars for the rear triangle. If you consider 30 dollars to ship it I would believe that the cost to the big red S is 70 bucks for a rear triangle.
    Not good news to hear about these breaking. With all the Suspension issues in the last year the last thing Specializeds needs is a rash of broken frames showing up in every cornor of the internet. The hard to understand warranty is even worse. Maybe you can get your rear triangle covered under the 5 year suspension warranty if it is part of the suspension.
    Sorry to hear about the breaks and the less then stellar service.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Oh great, I have an 07 Stumpy FSR.

Is there a warning or does it just snap as you ride?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Better put some miles on that yeti.

Just kidding. Its not like every one is breaking. Every model bike has some frame failures. I don't think there is cause for concern yet, but if I had an a stumpy I would look really closely at that spot for cracks.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Interestingly that both pictures of two different bikes show broken chainstays in the same spot on the tube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    Just kidding. Its not like every one is breaking. Every model bike has some frame failures. I don't think there is cause for concern yet, but if I had an a stumpy I would look really closely at that spot for cracks.
    Yes I agree, but now I have read all this I will have to stop and check for a crack every time I go over a bump! But then again my crank could fall off, seat post snap, brakes fail......................

LCD
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty
    Oh great, I have an 07 Stumpy FSR.

Is there a warning or does it just snap as you ride?
    Hi yetibetty,

Mine gave no warning but it was not a catastrophic event resulting in a spectacular crash off a 100 foot cliff! There was no unusual behavior or creaking before complete failure. Because the area where it broke was under the chainstay protector it could have been cracked without my noticing it. I would recommend regular inspection of that area! Once the chainstay was broken there was a lot of lateral play in the rear triangle which caused the rear tire to rub against the chainstay right by the BB. At first I thought it was an issue with one of the pivot points.

banned
    Yeah, I'm not too impressed with their policy/support on this one, especially since it seems that there are enough of these out there with the same issue that it is a design flaw. It wasn't worth fighting since to the letter of their warranty it is not covered and Spesh is not exactly known for their stellar CS. In the end it will cost me less than $150 including replacing the rear tire that got trashed.

I really like the way the bike rides but this is leaving a sour taste in my mouth and does have me considering selling it and going a different route.
    Does anyone read the warranty before they plop down several thousand dollars for a bicycle in this forum?

Be educated consumers.

mtbr member
    Mine gave no warning but it was not a catastrophic event resulting in a spectacular crash off a 100 foot cliff!
    [SIZE=2]Seriously, a 100ft cliff? Major compensation claim…

The rest of you:
    Don’t forget that Specialized is not the only company that only replaces part of the frame if they can get away with it, Rocky Mountain and Trek for example also do this and plenty of others I’m sure.
    [/SIZE]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast