mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Broken Brain on 07 Epic

I have a 2007 Epic with the Fox rear shock and the Brain has stopped working entirely. I usually ride with the rear suspension very firm and sometimes locked out completely in races. Dialing the Brain to lockout now has no effect at all. The Brain is not doing its Brain thing anymore either. The rear sus is always completely open and super soft even with tons of air pressure.

Clearly I need to pull it off and send it to Fox to get serviced, but with a race coming up Jan 2 I am worried about the turnaround time. Is there no way to lock out the suspension if the Brain is broken? What kind of time and cost do you think I am looking at? I am mainly interested in finding a way to keep this bike raceable until I take delivery on a new hardtail in late january. Otherwise I'd end up without any mtb at all while I wait for Fox to do whatever they do. Advice? thanks.

mtbr member
    Well if you removed the shock and brain all together you should be able to goto any decent hardware store and get some threaded rod and rod ends. You should be able to make up an adjustable rod that you can match to the eye to eye length of your shock, essentially turning your bike into a hardtail.

If you have any race car shops around it will probably be a little easier albeit more expensive to get something fabbed up.
    09 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon | 09 S-Works Enduro SL Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Borrow a fello friends Epic shock for the race while you have yours sent in for service. Your bike can temporarily fit the AFR 2007-2008 Epic shock as well. Talk with your LBS for pricing and turnaround time for the service of your Fox shock.
    Visit my profile for Links to:

Performance Guarantee, Service, Setup, E150 Maintenance....

dog lover-not in that way
    The brain when out on my 08 SJ a few weeks ago and I took it to my LBS on a Saturday and told them I'd like to have it back by the following weekend if possible. I picked up my bike that Wednesday. Specialized sent a replacement shock on Monday with next day air. Didn't cost me a penny and the bike felt new again.

Granted I did have an S-Works Epic on order so the LBS was wanting to keep me happy.

My advice, take it in and tell them you need it fixed ASAP.