dressed to play

broken 05 enduro chainstay

After the first downhill on Monday's ride i noticed a large crack on the non drive side of my 05 enduro chainstay.
    I've spotted on this site and others that i'm not the first to experience this problem.

If this has happened to you can i ask, how Specialized sorted this out for you?

Did you receive a new like for like 05 chainstay or a new 06 one with a beefier weld?
    Has anyone been given a second hand 05 chainstay? This is what Specialized UK has offered me, which is a little dissapointing.

The chainstay is going to be with my LBS on Friday so we'll see what the full story is then. If this is just to keep me rolling until a new one is in stock then fair play to Specialized. I''l be back to sing their praises, but i've got a feeling i'm being fobbed off.

So i'm trying to gather as much info as possible on this problem to help me argue my case.

Thanks in advance.
    Barry

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Everything I've seen (and me included when mine broke) says that you should get the '06 chainstay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    Everything I've seen (and me included when mine broke) says that you should get the '06 chainstay.
    Bare in mind that Specialized UK may have different warranty programs than those in the US. I am in Canada and they do not offer the Fox exchange program that Specialized US has.

Wayne.

mechmann_mtb
    take the bike to your LBS.

Specialized got the new frame stay to my LBS in like 3 days. It is still an 05 chainstay to match frame colors. when they run out of 05 chainstays, then i will get a new frame. that is what the LBS said.

mtbr member
    well i got an 06 chainstay for mine, it's just thicker in the area of the brake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    well i got an 06 chainstay for mine, it's just thicker in the area of the brake.
    The chainstay I got for my Enduro was new, but I didn't really look closely enough to tell if it was thicker or beefier than the original. It showed up in just a few days.

dressed to play

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys.
    The 2nd hand stay should be with my LBS tommorow. so i'll speek to them then and see what the full story is.

dressed to play

Result

Got the 2nd hand stay from LBS today and it's good to be rolling again.
    Phoned Specialized UK and they confirmed this was just a stop gap until new stays arrive in stock, and they should be the new stronger one.
    So very happy, a big thumbs up for Specialized customer service.

Now if only i knew this on Tuesday when i found out i was getting the 2nd hand one, it would've saved a bit of stress. Should have phoned them sooner i guess. Lesson learned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice, glad Spec came thru for you. Didn't make sense to put the same old design on--it would just break again.