mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Brand Softly And Ride A Big Wheel (2011 SJ FSR 29 Custom)

Well, here it is. The result of 2+ months of picking out and building my first FS bike. Special thanks to Out Spokin' Bikes in Woodstock, GA and to Mike Curiak at lacemine29.com. First ride will be this weekend!

Frame: 2011 Stumpjumper FSR 29er Silver Ano XL
    Shock: Fox Brain
    Fork: Fox Talas29 120 RLC FIT 15QR
    Wheelset: Stans ZTR Flows/DT Swiss 240s OS by Mike Curiak
    Tires: Continental Mountain Kings 2.4(f) & 2.2(r) (Tubeless)
    RWS: DT Swiss

Drivetrain Build:
    Shifters - SRAM XO 10spd Black
    Fr. Der - SRAM XX 2x10
    Crankset - Truvativ XO 175mm Black
    BB - Truvativ XX GXP XR Black
    Chainrings - Truvativ XO 26A - 39A
    Rr. Der - SRAM XO 10sp Mid-cage Black
    Cassette - SRAM PG-1050 12-36T
    Chain - SRAM PC-1091

Cockpit Build:
    Brakes - Avid XO G3 185(f) & 160(r) Black
    Saddle - Specialized Phenom Pro
    Seatpost - Specialized 2014 30.9 x 400
    Stem - Specialized (temp)
    Headset - Spec Campy
    Bars - Marin 6061 Low Rise (temp)
    Grips - ODI Rogues
    Pedals - Azonic 420

For those that are interested, current weight w/o pedals is 28lbs 7oz. Will be replacing the super heavy Marin 6061 bar with something carbon once I have the fit dialed in.
    Last edited by wgnDrvr; 02-24-2011 at 06:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice build...now get out there and ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    How's that XO stuff working for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    nice bike, that xl 29er looks a lot different than my med 29er fsr. Almost looks like a 26erlol!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Very cool.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've gotten in a few rides now and this bike is amazing. I finally cleaned a steep, loose climb that has been beating me and the descents are ridiculous fun. It's bigger, longer and slacker than my GF HT 29er and just flies around our local XC trails like it's a super-cross bike. I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this thing this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Great build. I'm planning to buy the Comp complete version of that thing - won't be as nice as hand picking each part though.

Question for you - how's the low end of that drivetrain - 26 ring x 36 tooth cog? The only thing I was considering changing on my bike was to swap the stock 22/33 chainrings for a 26/36 combo, just seems to make more sense, but I'm worried about the low end for long steep climbs. Let me know what you think so far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Wish I had the extra cash to build a stumpy up....i absolutely love the blue and black frameset, didn't like the frame you built from in the pics on the website, but seeing it in person with your build, it is alot nicer. I just couldn't see spending the extra money to go with the stumpy frame, instead picked up a camber pro. I'm happy with the desicion and the couple extra benefits of the stumpy wasn't worth the $1000+ difference...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rides like drunk ostrich
    Question for you - how's the low end of that drivetrain - 26 ring x 36 tooth cog?
    Being relatively new to MTB, I was a little worried about losing the 22x34 granny that I had on my other bike since I did use it on a couple of hills that I ride regularly. But so far, on the same trails, the 26x36 has been just fine. I think it ends up being about a 2 gear inch difference. I rode a couple of long (to me, ~ 3/4mi.) steep climbs in the granny and it wasn't a problem. Just makes one stronger! Overall, I'm really liking the 2x10 - 26/39x12-36 setup for my trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice bike. I like the silver frame. I bought the complete 2011 Stumpy FSR Expert 29er, which actually has a build level very similar to yours.

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    +1 on the silver frame. Very nice looking finish.