Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Brand New Rockhopper Pro Disc! Some questions though!!

920 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  kpw81785 
#1 ·
I went to my local bike shop and finally made the plunge into a decent bike. An 08 Rockhopper Pro Disc (the Red-anodized aluminum one). The ride is fantastic, but I have some quirks that I want to check on first before I decide whether to take the bike back to the shop.

1) On the front disc brake system, one of the pads just barely touches the rotor. Will this eventually wear away and correct itself? Does it need adjustment? I can just barely hear it when I ride...

2) SHIFTING!! On flat/moderate roads, it shifts like a dream. Problem is, when I pedal extremely hard, either uphill or on a flat surface, the chain jumps. Rarely, but it happens. Also, after shifting perfectly well, the rear gears will change. It doesn't happen often enough to show my LBS, but enough to make me wonder whether my $1000 bike is working properly.

I would really appreciate if someone could clear either of these issues up. I'm obviously not an overly experienced rider, so what may seem like a problem could be common to all mountain bikes. But I do want to fix any issues asap so I can enjoy my bike.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrads on your new bike. I am not quite sure if the juicy 3's have any pad adjustment or not. I assume that they do not so you cant adjust the depth of the pads. However, you can adjust the cable near the lever to see if a small amount of adjustment makes a difference. What I would do first is ride for a while because the pads take a bit of use before they "set". If it dosent go away after a few rides then adjust the cables a little.

With any bike there will be some degree of cable stretch after you buy it so the shifting wont be dialed in after a few rides. Most bike shops know this and have you come back for a tune up after a few weeks if you cant adjust the derailures yourself.

Both problems happen on new bikes no matter how expensive so I would just feel free to bring the bike back in and have them adjust the cables.

Have fun.

Post your new ride in the rockhopper thread too.

#3 ·
If you have the juicy 3's then there is no cable adjustment to be done as they are not mechanical, the are hydro. What I would do is try to re-center the caliper by loosening the mounting bolts, then while holding down on the applicable brake lever, tighten down those same bolts and it should be centered. If not, I'm sure it will eventually wear away once you use them more.

The second issue with the derailleur is just probably chain stretch. It can happen on any new bike. Just have the LBS adjust them for you. Good luck!

#6 ·
congrats on the new bike i am in the same position as you seeing as in how this year i bought my first serious bike and i got a 08 rockhopper pro disc. i had the same front disc problem as you and after a couple nice rides they seemed to "break in" and im no longer experiencing it. as far as your shifting goes this past weekend i took the bike for a nice easy lakefront ride and at one point chain started jumping gears i didnt know what was wrong i shifted around a couple times and it didnt do it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.