mtbr member

New question here. "Brake-it in" period for a Stumpy FSR 06?

Hello; I just got an 06 Stumpy FSR and love it. I rode it 4 times already and I notice a much better handling on tecnical downhills, I'm riding better and it gives me a lot of confidence. But, I also notice goin uphill and rolling hills a "dragging feel", I check my set-up, as far as tires,seat, etc and I starting wondering maybe needs to brake it in to loosen up? Anyone had the same experiance? Thanks.
    Last edited by bajamtnbkr; 10-28-2005 at 04:34 PM. Reason: miss spell

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Anyone?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bajamtnbkr
    Anyone?
    Hard to give specific answers without more specific info on what might be "dragging", and what you are comparing this bike to.

Some brands of hubs roll easier after being ridden for awhile, and disc brakes can be finicky with regard to slight rubbing of the rotors. Rolling resistance of different tires varies quite a bit, and an FS bike without a lockout may feel less efficient than a hardtail. The 120 is a light bike for what it is, but heavier than most high end hardtail bikes. All of these might be factors in what you are perceiving.

BigDridesBigS
    Oct 2005

Check the psi in rear.

I have had my 06 Stumpy Comp. for about 2 months. The break in period I found was mostly with the Fox rear shock. After the first couple of rides I noticed a bit of sag in the rear end and when I hooked up the shock pump found that it lost quite a bit of pressure. I pumped it up about 20lbs over my weight (230lbs) and it has stayed at that pressure (250lbs) for over a month. I think too low of an air pressure in the rear shock could rob you of some pedal efficiency. The only other thing I can think of is if the pads on your disk brakes are rubbing against the rotor?

mtbr member
    I had noticed a little rubbing of the front disc but not much, I'll check the rear shock(Triad), I'm also 235 lbs so I'll go up to 250 and hope it will take care of it. Yesterday's rice felt better anyway. Thanks guys for your advise.

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDridesBigS
    I have had my 06 Stumpy Comp. for about 2 months. The break in period I found was mostly with the Fox rear shock. After the first couple of rides I noticed a bit of sag in the rear end and when I hooked up the shock pump found that it lost quite a bit of pressure. I pumped it up about 20lbs over my weight (230lbs) and it has stayed at that pressure (250lbs) for over a month. I think too low of an air pressure in the rear shock could rob you of some pedal efficiency. The only other thing I can think of is if the pads on your disk brakes are rubbing against the rotor?

i've noticed that too with fox rear shocks. they lose a bit of pressure til you ride them a few times. i think the seals just have to properly seat.