mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Brake line trouble. Too short? Need your opinion.

Ok so I decided to buy the 1500mm rear line and after mounting it on with tape (dont ask), I'm unsure if its too short or not. I can do 1 bar spin the short way before it starts making contact with the face of the stem. I'm not worried whether or not I'll be able to do barspins, but more so what will happen if I crash and my wheel decides to spin... Should I return it and buy the 1650mm line (6 more inches)? Take a look at the pictures:

Happy new years

Texan
    Something doesnt look right. I would vote for a longer tube. I dont like that sharp bend going into the top tube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H
    Something doesnt look right. I would vote for a longer tube. I dont like that sharp bend going into the top tube.
    Thats actually just how the routing goes. If I were to not route it through the first little channel thing, I wouldnt have that sharp right turn. Heres an example of short lines and you still get that weird bend.

It also has to do with the brakes I am using and how the cable is attached. Hopefully some more people will chime in.

Texan
    I know what it is now. Loosen up the banjo fitting on the lever and point it more to the front and see if it loosens up that acute angle where the tape is holding it to the top tube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yea before I even read your reply, I was asking my friends if this was possible. These are the only other brakes ive owned next to my hayes 9 so I didnt know if this would leak fluid or let air in the brakes. But it is safe to do right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H
    I know what it is now. Loosen up the banjo fitting on the lever and point it more to the front and see if it loosens up that acute angle where the tape is holding it to the top tube.
    Ok my friend said I might have to re-bleed the brakes if I do this so I'm trying to avoid doing this.

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by SeX Trail
    Ok my friend said I might have to re-bleed the brakes if I do this so I'm trying to avoid doing this.
    Not as long as you dont let air enter the system. Just slightly loosen the bolt on the banjo fitting and rotate as need be without touching the brake lever.

dweeby
    The sharp bend in the brake line is in part down to the very short stem you are using and is a common problem, if the bars were further out in front of the frame you would have a more gentle bend. Just ajust the angle that the hose comes out of the lever.

Texan
    Conclusion?

mtbr member
    Any adjustment to the banjo will effectively shorten the brake line - which I think is the real concern here.

I set mine up so the bars can rotate 270 degrees before binding the line/cable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Well if I adjust the banjo, itll change the angle of the line. This will get rid of the sharp bend before the cable runs into the downtube. I think this will give me a bigger loop at the front.

mtbr member
    Despite your concerns, Id actually say your line is too long. Unless you plan on doing barspins of jumps/drops. I run mine shorter. Im geting some contact at just over 180, but can stil go to about 270 before it snags. And still then, if forced, there is enough play in the cableguides to give a bit more. The line it self can take a beating.
    5 years with hydraulics and plenty of crashes hars never cauced any problems. Always with shorter line than the one youve got there.

Looks better too
    Andreas, BodøBøddel.

...idios...
    "Despite your concerns, Id actually say your line is too long."

Agreed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Ok thanks for all the help guys. I decided its long enough and I'll be keeping it!