mtbr member
    Mar 2012

brake issues- 2014 stumpy comp EVO

hoping someone here can perhaps help me out. I bought a 2014 stumpy comp evo 26" about 2 months ago. I have ridden the bike 4 times total on fairly short rides due to a sprained ankle. On the 3rd ride I notice the brakes start to make a lot of noise. The front brake is extremely loud. The rear makes noise and send strong vibration all through the frame and handle bars. Its so bad I honestly don't even want to ride it anymore.

I have done some research online and found others complaining about the vibration but almost all of them are unable to get rid of it. Even some saying that they completely changed the brakes out and it is still there.

Now before I head up to morgan hill and shove this bike up specialized ass does anyone have experience with this or know of a fix.

I just cant see spending 3k on a bike and have these sort of issues. I mean really these bike companies need to at least test this **** before they sell it at these prices.

appreciate any help guys

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    This is covered in the Stumpy EVO thread. 2014 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Evo 29 Review

mtbr member
    I can tell you the SLX brakes on my SJ Elite work flawlessly, so at least from my experience, this seems to be related to the Formula brakes only. You might try asking your LBS to replace them with something that works correctly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    For the vibration caused by the rear brake, try removing the small plastic clamp that holds the rear brake line to the inside of the seat stay. That fixed it on my 2013.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Its 2 months old.
    Take it back to the place you bought it before ranting online.
    S-Works Venge
    S-Works Crux Disc
    Stumpjumper Expert EVO HT 29er
    Crux SS - Team Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWheels29 View Post
    Its 2 months old.
    Take it back to the place you bought it before ranting online.
    +1 this is why bike shops offer a free tune up with new bikes. Adjustments always need to be made in addition to the simple fact that components do go through a break in period. It could be as simple as making some adjustments or it could be what is covered in the other 2014 stumpy thread. Either way your LBS is going to end up being the ones to deal with specialized on the problem if it isn't just a simple adjustment

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi,
    I had the same issue on my 2013 evo expert with Avid brakes. I must admit there were quite some issues.
    The front brake rotor was uneven and the caliper in the back was not installed and alligned properly. So first thing make sure the guy who assambled the bike did not screw up.
    Also make sure you follow the bed in procedure - this might be critical as well. I assume with uneven rotos the bed in will not work as the reason for the bed in is to create a thin and even layer on the rotor. This layer will never be even if the rotor it self is not.
    Make sure the brake is bleeded properly.
    Additionally we changed the pads for some from swiss stop with beveled edges.
    It took me quite some time but now the brakes are fine and only squeal every now and then in wet conditions. After all I would not go for Avids any more. Obviously the SJ frame itself also (partly) causes the vibration problem as there are complaints with various brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Update..... I picked up the bike yesterday and the bike shop said they soleved the problem. The guy said the brakes were not bed properly and had glazed the rotors and that was the cause of the vibration. They said this time the bed the brakes themselves. I took the bike outside and within three stops was able to produce the same vibration that existed before.
    What is annoying is that the mechnic tried to sell me on getting better brakes. So lets see what's next......I will update again.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by tnt12 View Post
    For the vibration caused by the rear brake, try removing the small plastic clamp that holds the rear brake line to the inside of the seat stay. That fixed it on my 2013.
    This. Or use a LOOSE zip tie. (For when the honk comes back.)

Previously I tried:
    - sanding & rebedding pads & rotor
    - different pads
    - bleed
    - realign caliper
    Most were good for a few rides. Then the sound came back. Sometimes worse. Loosening the hose to seat stay connection permanently solved the noise.

P

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    +1 for removing the seatstay cable holder. Like others, I previously tried a variety of solutions including realign, new rotors, new pads, re-bed, de-glaze, & new brakes. Removing the SS cable hold solved the issue for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Re: brake issues- 2014 stumpy comp EVO

I have the 2014 Stumpjumper Evo comp and my rear brake has the same problem, when you grabbed the rear brake it sounded like dragging a metal filing cabinet across a tile floor and it caused a harsh vibration throughout the whole bike. I too brought it back to the dealer I bought it from and they found no issues with it and even the Specialized Rep checked it out and he found no problem. i took the bike straight to the trails and the vibration sound still existed. So I read online here to remove the clip that is on the inside of the chainstay, it supports the brake line going to the rear caliper, once I did that the noise and vibration were completely gone , I did that a week and a half ago and the bike has been ridden aggressively in the trails everyday since and the sound/vibration has not come back. As far as a brake line goes, it stays pretty much where it was previously mounted and doesn't move around. The two photos show the clip removed and the brake line as it is now.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brake issues- 2014 stumpy comp EVO-uploadfromtaptalk1384381945946.jpg  

brake issues- 2014 stumpy comp EVO-uploadfromtaptalk1384381968542.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for all the tips everyone. I'm gonna head home right now and remove that ziptie and test it out.....I'm really hoping that's all it is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well gentlemen.......I did as you guys instructed and took the bike out and did about 20 high speed stops. I'm happy to report problem solved. Sounds like ppl here know more then the guys who do it for a living down at the lbs. Many thanks...thanks for posting pics as well. I think I may try and find a rubber washer and see if I can put it between the screw and the frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brake issues- 2014 stumpy comp EVO-img_20131110_081129.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Re: brake issues- 2014 stumpy comp EVO

glad to hear that it worked for you, I'm going to follow up with an email to Specialized about the problem if they're not yet already aware of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I spoke to spesh customer service this morning and the guy did not have a fix for me. Just said to have my lbs call the warranty rep and they would male sure it was taken care of somehow

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cool fix. Since that clip was removed make sure you adjust the slack on your brake hose so its doesn't end up in your spokes when you bottom out. I would let all the air out in your shock, sit on bike or press down on seat and see if the hose touches the spokes. While your at it make sure to torque all bolts to spec on your entire bike. It doesn't hurt to recheck the LBS work. Safety first.

mtbr member

brake issues- 2014 stumpy comp EVO

I have had the same problem try switching rear pads from metallic to organic pads. Should solve the problem.