mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Brain swap for 07 SJ Comp/Elite, it will work!

I was at the place where I got my 07 Elite because I had to get my juicy 7's worked on. Anyway, I did some researching and there IS a solution for those with the 07 SJ Comp and Elite if they become unhappy with the triad shock. The Brain setup on the Expert can easily be put on the Elite and Comp frame. The Elite has the two mounting bolt holes on the rear triangle and it has the cable mount for the thick hose thing. The Float R used in the expert setup is exactly the same unique size as the 07 Triad used on the Comp and Elite, which is 7.75x1.75

There has been alot of confusion concerning the possibility of this swap, but I'm hear to clear it up. It WILL work, no worries. Just contact Specialized and have them send it. Don't know how much it would be, but it is a option.

So far my triad has been great, but if there is any problem, I'll put on the brain setup from the 07 expert.

I hope this puts 07 SJ owners mind's at rest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Harris
    I was at the place where I got my 07 Elite because I had to get my juicy 7's worked on. Anyway, I did some researching and there IS a solution for those with the 07 SJ Comp and Elite if they become unhappy with the triad shock. The Brain setup on the Expert can easily be put on the Elite and Comp frame. The Elite has the two mounting bolt holes on the rear triangle and it has the cable mount for the thick hose thing. The Float R used in the expert setup is exactly the same unique size as the 07 Triad used on the Comp and Elite, which is 7.75x1.75

There has been alot of confusion concerning the possibility of this swap, but I'm hear to clear it up. It WILL work, no worries. Just contact Specialized and have them send it. Don't know how much it would be, but it is a option.

So far my triad has been great, but if there is any problem, I'll put on the brain setup from the 07 expert.

I hope this puts 07 SJ owners mind's at rest.

Interesting, will specialized sell just the shock? Does anyone know how much that would cost?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have been wondering about this myself. I shot an email to specialized asking if they sell the brains, and what the price would be.

3xv
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    IF Specialized sell you guys the shock with brain, do not forget to order the carbon fiber bracket and corresponding bolts that holds the brain to the rear triangle. Good luck

mtbr member
    I purchased an expert with the brain 3 weeks ago and it is amazing. To anyone who is trying to decide between purchasing the elite or expert, the extra $500 is well worth it. I was having a hard time trying to make up my mind about whether to go for the brain or not.
    One test drive with the brain and I had to have it. I've already got 30 hours on the expert and I could not be happier.
    It would be cheaper to go with the expert now than having to convert an elite to the brain shock setup at a later date. I don't know how much converting to the brain setup would cost, but I'm guessing a minimum of $600.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstump
    I purchased an expert with the brain 3 weeks ago and it is amazing. To anyone who is trying to decide between purchasing the elite or expert, the extra $500 is well worth it. I was having a hard time trying to make up my mind about whether to go for the brain or not.
    One test drive with the brain and I had to have it. I've already got 30 hours on the expert and I could not be happier.
    It would be cheaper to go with the expert now than having to convert an elite to the brain shock setup at a later date. I don't know how much converting to the brain setup would cost, but I'm guessing a minimum of $600.
    It will be worth it for Comp owners. I could essentially get a poor man's "expert" for $2000 plus the cost of the brain. Of course this assumes you can get the brain at a reasonable price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just put in an email to specialized asking them about the possibility of this swap. I'll let you know what there response is.

The Other Dude
    I have a feeling that shock is going to be pricey....i know a guy on the forum here had to buy a replacement brain for his epic, and it set him back $500. I have on clue what the specialized one is going cost, but ill bet its more since its going on higher end bikes and the fox brain is on the lower end ones.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Interesting that the website quotes the S-Works @ 7.625 x 1.625.... Looks like I won't be able to put the new AFR onto mine, the manual shows 7.75 x 2.0 for the Fox Brain!!!
    Last edited by tonys102; 01-29-2007 at 04:57 AM.
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Here is the email I got from Specialized this morning:

Hey Brandon,

Thanks for riding Specialized.

The Brain shock would not be retro-fittable to your Stumpjumper frame. The shock is available through Specialized dealers.

Thanks for the email,
    Bruce.

This doesn't make much sense to me. It looks like the frames are identical

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well, that response doesn't make much sense to me. It is not true about the brain not being able to fit. I'm not sure about the 07 Comp, but I did look very closely at the 07 Elite and 07 Expert. There is absolutely no question about the 07 Expert brain setup being able to be installed.

Also, his response is confusing because he says it won't fit, but then says it WILL be avaialble through the specialized dealers. Whats up with that?

Lets stay on top on specialized about this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yeah the frames seem to be identical. There is no difference between the comp and elite. I'm going to have a chat with my dealer tomorrow, and see what the cost would be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Good news from specialized

Here is the response I got from the email I sent to specialized. It looks like things will all work out.

Hey there,

Thanks for riding Specialized.

Our Brain Float rear Stumpjumper shock will soon be available for aftermarket sale. At this point I don't have an expected release date or price, but I do know that it will be available.

Thanks for the email,
    Bruce.

Specialized Customer Service/Online Store
    1137 South 3800 West
    Salt Lake City UT 84104
    877-808-8154