mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Brain Shock Maintenance?

I am about an inch away from going into credit card debt for an Epic Disc, but before I do, I have some questions about maintaining the brain.

For early adopters of the tech, how has maintenance been? Any weird problems or downtime due to keeping the thing running? How much do you spend yearly on pivot bearings, etc.? Is the brain a home mechanics shock in terms keeping it running?

Tell me everything.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

I have had it for over a year...

and am about to do maintenance for the first time some time soon.

It has been great so far...

Get it.. you will love it

Cheers,
    Cris

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've a 2003 epic, only problem I had was early on where the brain would stay active. Bouncing the bike on the rear wheel would unstick it though, and its gone away.

My understanding is that the 2003 brain was not end-user servicable, and that attempting to do so would violate warranty. I did get an email from some brave soul who did some hacking around, but phrases like a 200psi air chamber put me off that.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    You aren't supposed to mess with the brain. I've had 4 Epics and have never had to. Our rental dept has gone through two size runs with one issue that they warrentied. I did help rebuild the shock portion(5000 mile, racers bike) and it was a snap, probably the easiest shock work I've ever done.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

Check the manual

Quote Originally Posted by Mtc
    You aren't supposed to mess with the brain. I've had 4 Epics and have never had to. Our rental dept has gone through two size runs with one issue that they warrentied. I did help rebuild the shock portion(5000 mile, racers bike) and it was a snap, probably the easiest shock work I've ever done.
    What I mean by maintenance is the sleeve service, so basically checking the seals, clean and lube. That is shown in the bike's manual and on Fox's site. You can even check the video. It is recommended that you do sleeve service periodically. I am going to do my first this winter (and check the pivot bearings too)

Quote Originally Posted by 2003 Fox shocks manual - Brain section
    Air sleeve service can be performed as on other FOX Racing Shox FLOAT rear shocks (see pages 10&11 for details).
    The strut must be removed before removing the air sleeve. A 22mm open end wrench is required to remove the strut.
    Torque to 175-200 in-lb (19.5-22.5 N-m) when reinstalling. A 22mm crowfoot attachment and a torque wrench are
    required to install the strut.
    Cheers,
    Cris
    Last edited by crisillo; 11-03-2005 at 08:00 AM.

mtbr member

do the air sleeve yourself, get the rest done by the pros

Air sleeve service is easy, just remember to let the air out first. Messing with the brain requires a bit more skill and the necesary tools to repressureize it. Fox or their local distributor should be able to service it pretty quickly for you. I have seen one guy who actually replaced the little air port on top of the brain with a schrader valve to make this part of the service easy. It looked like garbage, and that would definetly void the warranty.