mtbr member
    Apr 2005

brain shock on epic comp

I just recently got a specialized epic comp, but received no instructions on how to adjust the brain shock. Does anyone have any information on this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Shock Adjustment for Epic Comp

This shock has 2 settings.
    1. rebound - red dial
    2. Air pressure - shrader valve.

According to the fox manual the rear should have 30-33% sag (I think that is correct but I may be off)

You set the sag by sitting on the bike in normal riding position and then determning if you need more or less air pressure based on the amount of sag recorded. Just increase or decrease the air pressure as needed.

The rebound is personal preference.

The best way to set up your suspension is to ride the bike and make adjustments to suit what works best for you. The settings in the manual are just a starting point.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Well it would be in your best interest to hit up the specialized site for a brain manual. Although it is dead simple to set up I believe the air pressure changed between years. This is the beauty there are only 2 (or 3) settings: air spring, rebound speed and the IQ has compression speed adjust too.

I am 180# and run 105psi in an '03 and have the rebound speed set 8 clicks from slowest. That seems to give me a firm compression feel but stops it from being "pogo sticky". It took me quite some time to find a setting I really felt comfortable with but it's been well worth it.

If you can't find the manual even the '04 will do I will try and post a link tonight or even the actual PDF.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Here is the Specialized/Fox Brain Shock manual link