JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Brain Fade on a 2007 Epic Expert

Got my Epic expert last week and I have a few questions about the Brain Fade shock.

1. Should it compress when standing still and pushing down on the saddle? When I first got it, I recall it didn't, but after about 200 km it does. It does this in both the softest and firmest setting. I do feel the difference between the settings when I'm riding, though.

2. Should it be totally locked-out in the firmest setting, when riding on tarmac? I'm experiencing a minimal amount of bob, when I look down at the upper seatstay link and look at the brake hose, which moves slightly. But as I said, I can feel a real difference between the different settings on the brain fade. It just never seems to be totally bob-free.

3. Is it normal for the shock to move a bit towards the seatstays, when touching the brain-canister? All bolts are thightened to the right torque, but the shock still moves slightly a few degrees in an arc from the wheel to the seatstays.

Should I be worried, or just continue enjoying this lovely bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    i've got the epic marathon with the Specialized Brain on and when i first got it it seemed to lock out more as you describe.(ie when pushing down on saddle) Still rides ok, and i set it in soft other day and pedalled as badly as i could (standing in saddle, hammering on pedals) to try and induce bob, and it was ok...like no bob at all. So i'm guessing the brain is working fine. Maybe they just settle in after first few uses.

Anyway see what others post...

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    1,2. It should compress down until the point at which your body weight does not exceed the air pressure. This is preload. The air pressure level you use is determined by your riding style preference, but should be set to sag about 8-12mm with your body weight. That top amount of travel is pretty active. Below that, it is firm until you break open the shock due to hitting a bump. Size of bump dictated by your bump threshold knob setting. The rebound setting can also be adjusted to make that initial bobbing feel faster/slower.

3. The lateral rocking of the shock along the axis of the length of it is normal. This accounts for flex within the system while riding hard. It shouldn't be knocking against the frame. Just a little bit.

JSQ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thank you CDB that was very helpful. I love this bike. I took it out for a 3 hour trailride on Saturday and it performed superbly. It's very agile and loves high speeds. Of course the suspension can be a bit harsh at times, but it feels like no energy is wasted when pushing down on the pedals.