mtbr member

Brain different on Stumpy FSR 29 vs Epic 29

I had a 2008 Epic 26er that I LOVED. Rode the bejeepers out of it. Two years ago, I got an Epic 29er. Holy crap, what an awesome bike! Now, I'm thinking about moving to the Stumpjumper 29er FSR. My trails are pretty tech in places and I feel like I'm beating up my Epic pretty badly.

So...I have been a HUGE fan of the brain on the Epic, so I'm thinking the Stumpy FSR Expert, but I've heard the brain works differently on the Stumpjumper- can anyone explain? Would I be happier with a Comp even though I'd have to manually change the shock around for climbing/ descending?

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    The brain on the Stumpy FSR is a completely different animal. It can be truly considered a "pro pedal" thing rather than a "lock out" thing. No matter how Specialized likes to put it on their tech docs ( they point that the Brain DOES NOT lock out the shock) the brain on the Epic gets 99% there in locking 99% of the shock,while on the Stumpy I would say the ratio is more 80% and 70% respectively.
    Honestly I love my Brains both on my Epic and Stumpy FSR and I think that the not complete lock out of the Stumpy is quite appropriate for that bike and useful enough during climbs or hardcore pedaling.

recovering roadie
    Can you turn off the Brain feature completely?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs View Post
    Can you turn off the Brain feature completely?
    Yes you can but while on the Epic the bike remain sort of ok to use on the Stumpy it just gives on your nerves a lot,at least on the 26 Stumpy. Unless of course we're talking full rocky downhill..
    Last edited by Devastazione; 08-22-2012 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    When you open your brain up on the stumpy it wallows badly and to get it to platform enough for stiff climbing it beats you up on the downhills locking in and out . I dumped the brain for a RP23 and couldn't be happier. I'm a strong believer that the brain is great for cross country but for everything else your better off with something else....
    Last edited by Rakuman; 08-22-2012 at 12:13 PM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Awesome feedback so far, guys- thanks. I heard that the brain on the SJ is basically open until about 20%, then it platforms out. Sounds like I might be happier with the Comp... I see a test ride in my future (lots of comps out there to demo, but hard to demo an Expert).

mtbr member
    I'm waiting the delivery of my 2013 Stumpy FSR Elite. I've chose the Elite for 2 main reasons : 1) when it comes to trails or all day rides with buddies I want a simple and solid M5 aluminum. 2) I want the Brain.
    I took me a while to get used to it on my FSR Elite 26 but once I did I was sold.

That is right anyway,it looks like there's plenty of Comps and Evos 29 around all the time but you don't see Experts at all...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    One other thing to consider... sure it won´t come cheap but you can convert every brain stumpi to a non-brain one but not vice versa cause the comp and the evo models are missing the "brain mount" in the seat stay!

mtbr member
    I have a demo 2012 SJ FSR 29er Comp in the garage. Rode it the last two days and I am totally impressed with the new rear shock. In lockout mode, it climbs like the Epic- very efficient. ProPedal was great for varied terrain, and fully open is super cush. Other than the annoyance of having to reach down and flip the switch (which is only annoying because I'm coming from an epic and have never had to deal with that before), the bike rocks. Totally surprised that even up to the expert they only have a Fox RL on the front (I really like the RLC), but it's a fun, fast, incredibly capable bike. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on my Epic- I didn't ride noticeably better, but I didn't ride worse and I didn't think about the bike at all- it just rode super nice. A little more cush on the downhills, for sure. I think when my Epic is totally trashed, the SJ will be my next rig, but I'm not so blown away by the difference that I'm compelled to make it happen sooner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've got an 11 Epic 29 and a 12 Stumpy Expert FSR 29. The brains are tuned completely differently. The descriptions given above are accurate. The Epic is faster accelerating and climbing and faster overall for the trails I ride (east coast singletrack with roots and no rocks, short punchy climbs and short descents which the brain is great for since you don't have time to lock/unlock). That being said, I haven't ridden my Epic since I got the Stumpy. It's just so plush and comfortable and really fun. I've got a race coming up in October though and I will be riding the Epic for that. Keep in mind that I'm 55 years old and really appreciate how easy the Stumpy is on my body. It's also more composed going through corners than the Epic and when I had it up in the mountains is much more confidence inspiring on downhills. Great bike!

mtbr member
    The 2013 stumpy elite also has a fox talus fork, I the comp comes with a fox float. i dont which is better but what i read the talus is. I never had a FSR bike before so im looking forward to diving in. my buddy just got a 2013 carbon comp epic. i got a 2013 stumpy FSR elite. should be here this week, cant wait. last bike was a 2010 carbon expert stumpy HT really liked it but i think its time for FS.
    05 Raleigh M80 sold
    09 Rockhopper Comp sold
    10 Stumpy Expert Carbon HT 29er sold
    13 Stumpy FSR Elite "Yellow Jacket"