mtbr member

Brain adjust knob on 08 Epic

I've got 3 rides on my 08 Epic marathon and the brain adjust knob will only turn 1/2 turn, or about 5-6 clicks. It moved 1 1/2 turns, or about 15 clicks, when I first started riding it.

Has anyone else had this problem? I let the air out and refilled the shock, but no luck. If I weight the suspension I can get it to turn more, but then it gets almost stuck.

c'est la vie

Warranty

While information is limited regarding the 2008 AFR shock modifications, there should be anywhere from 10 to 15 clicks (down from the original 40 clicks on the 2007 model). The 2008 model I saw was super-easy to spin the blue adjustment knob. It is doubtful this situation will improve with break-in of the shock, suggest having your LBS request warranty.

Let us know the outcome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    my 08 epic brain spins a full revolution and about another quarter turn after that, when i bought the bike i just set it to fully open and havent touched it since

mmm...Bidwell

Brain problems

Yes, I had the exact same problem with my brain shock. The knob would get stuck, and the shock would not lock out at all. I had to have it replaced 3 times during the race season. Very frustrating! Specialized said that it was a manufacturing problem with and entire batch that they made. They finally sent me a fourth shock that they claimed was from another batch, and it has been working now for about a month. So I hope the problem is fixed, but who knows. My faith has definitely been shaken.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FancyPete
    They finally sent me a fourth shock that they claimed was from another batch, and it has been working now for about a month. So I hope the problem is fixed, but who knows. My faith has definitely been shaken.
    I'm right there with you, bro. I had two shocks go bad on an 08 Stumpjumper (wiper seal dislodged and came down the shaft). When I got the 3rd shock I sold it and got an Epic. I'm now on my 4th shock in 6 weeks on the Epic. The first 2 developed excessive play in the first 1/4 of the stroke. Even when the brain was set to fully firm it bobbed.

The 3rd shock had the issue that I mentioned in this post. Now the fourth shock's brain adjust knob is only getting about 10 clicks (15 when it was new) unless I compress the shock and turn the knob.

Faith shaken? Yeah, that's the truth. If the Epic weren't the best 4 inch bike I've ridden I would have given up already. I will say that Specialized is good about getting the new shock to me quickly, but what a hassle!

I read an editorial by Richard Cunningham a few months back in MBA. In it he talked about the importance of bike and component companies sticking with the specialty. If Easton bars fail, it could destroy the company. If a house brand bar fails continuosly, it wouldn't destroy a bike manufacturer. If Fox shocks start failing, it could be the end of the company. RC emphasized that he trusts the components that are the core competency of the company.

Now I wonder how much this applies to this issue. Should Specialized have just let Fox keep making the shocks and they make the bikes?

If this 4th Epic shocks goes out, I may have to call it quits with Specialized after about 15 years of riding their bikes. We'll see...

mtbr member

Good report

After my pretty critical post I felt it fair to report that my 4th shock is doing very well. The adjuster knob did seem to stick at around 9 clicks, but in the middle of my ride yesterday it was getting the full 15 clicks. So it's kind of like riding it freed the shock up again. On the trail the shock felt awesome.

I've ridden a good number of high-end 4 inch bikes, and I'll say that the Epic comes out on top (Turner Flux was a very close second).

So the bottom line is, when the Epic is working right (and I really hope it continues to work right), it rocks!