mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Bought a hardrock comp disc

I just bought it today. But i think i should go a size down to a 15" as i have the 17" not i am 5.9" but with an inseem of 29"

what do you guys think? also should i go for the 15" i will mostly ride through the city with it and go on trails when i go camping or to the cottage.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Oh i weigh 220 and all parts to my bike are stock.

Thanks

mtbr member
    If you can stand flat footed on the ground while standing over the bike, you're good. I have a 30" inseam and ride a size 19 Rockhopper with no issues. Now, if you feel too stretched out while riding, that's a different issue. A shorter stem would help. You should have test rode both sizes and went with the most comfortable. But if you're good now, just enjoy the bike and not worry about what the other bike would have been like.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hi, I am 5' 11" and find the 17" Rockhopper suits me fine - have the advantage of saving some weight over the 19". A comfortable riding position is of paramount importance - you cannot compensate for a bike that is too big or too small for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Man, I rode my son's Hardrock today and boy it was super. Super compared to my Novara Pandarosa bike from REI. Mine is more expensive by more than $200. Hardrock was a Cadillac as compared to my Novara which is like a heavy truck. Until today, I thought that my Novara was a great bike. But from now on, I don't.

Fat-tired Roadie
    You already have the bike. What do you think?

If you feel like the bars are too far away from you, the bike is too big. If you're feeling balanced and comfortable, it's fine.

My expectation would be that you have a longer torso than I do - I'm 5'8" with a 31.5" inseam - and therefore need at least as big, if not bigger a bike. I ride a 17" myself.

It has a lot to do with your fitness level and how flexible you are, and the length of your arms, not just torso length. It's unfortunate that bikes are measured by seat tube length because I don't think it's a very relevant measurement.

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

How long do you have to make a decision?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx