I need more money!!!!!!
    Dec 2009

Bottom Bracket clicking on Hardrock Sport hardtail

I mainly ride urban stuff and trials with my Hardrock Sport(I have no idea what year it is). So I was riding my Hardrock the other day and go to press down on the left pedal and it started to click. I checked the pedals and they are fine, the clicking only happens on the down stroke for the left pedal. I'll try to get a video up later. It sounds like something is popping like popcorn popping on metal is the only way I can describe it. Could it be caused by the type of riding?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    the riding you're doing should be fine (within reason... a long as you're not doing 4-6' drops to flat without doing them trials style, ie landing rear wheel first and setting the front down soft).

I'd start by getting some synthetic marine grease and taking out your bb (or bb cups) and clean and grease the threads of your frame. I use rubbing alcohol and a microfiber rag to clean them and then put just enough grease to settle into the threads of the frame with no excess coming up.

Be careful not to cross thread your bb or frame.

I need more money!!!!!!
    Dec 2009
    Do you know what kind of BB it is?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    super tough to tell without knowing which year. Specialized keeps all of their old bikes on their site under the archive section. Go scope it out and see if you can tell the year.

On most all of the late model stuff they have been using the standard shimano cup style bb's in several different flavors and models. There are only a few types of bottom brackets and most all of them are cup style lately. Earlier years used cartridge style or ebb. I'd bet if your bike was built within the last 4 years it's a cup style bb and can be taken apart with the cyp style bb tool. (available at any decent LBS)

I need more money!!!!!!
    Dec 2009
    It is a tapered square. Also I just took the BB off and there is some play in it, is this ok?