mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Both $1400, but which is better?

Just doing a little research on a couple specialized hardtails. The top level rockhopper (pro Evo 29) and the lowest level Crave (29) are priced the same at $1400 on specialized's website. Only difference I can see is that the rockhopper has 20mm extra travel in the fork. Anyone here familiar enough with those two bikes to tell me which is better and why?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    If I were looking atthe 2, I would choose the Crave all day long. The Crave has one thing that you can never upgrade over the Rockhopper.... it has a better frame. The components between the 2 look very similar, so it comes down to the frame. Both bikes would serve a rider well, but the Crave has a better and lighter frame (material).
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Great answer. Thank you. Everyone else pretty much agree with knight511?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You could get more info by doing a demo day and including other bikes. 71.5 ht angle is good around the parking lot but may not be your choice on faster downhills with bumps. Scott and Trek, Scale and Superfly offer an alternative.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Appreciate that. Looking into the Scott scale's as well actually.

Political bs aside, I've just always looked at specialized as a brand that can be trusted to have a quality product, at a price that is at the very least fair. Plus, I've recently come to know through another business dealing the owner of a local shop which sells specialized. I've been to his shop plenty of times, but I'm a dork who analyzes WAY too many details before making decisions about purchases. His employees don't have enough time in the day to deal with an annoying customer like me. Lol.

Leaning towards that crave at the moment. Thanks again guys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Re: Both $1400, but which is better?

Did you pick a bike? I am comparing those two also. Other than weight is the M4 frame better than the A1.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by JLaw516 View Post
    Did you pick a bike? I am comparing those two also. Other than weight is the M4 frame better than the A1.
    Did decide, went with the rockhopper for the extra inch of travel in the fork. The bike really won't ever receive any additional upgrades, so, the better possibilities of the crave's frame didn't really factor in too much. Both bikes I'm sure would've been great, but, no regrets with the decision to get the rockhopper.