Thread: Blown out Triad

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Blown out Triad

Hey all...i just got back from a ride and my triad blew out on me. I was riding without gear and weigh in a 127lbs and the pressure on the shock was 145psi and rebound at 2 clicks from slowest. Not really sure what to do. I have the receipt and everything. Do I just call fox to ask them for warranty?
    Thanks,
    Andy
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

z71
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    welcome to the Fox Triad crap out club.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    haha thanks...this may be my excuse to upgrade to an RP23 but i need to get the cash together first. The fluids were leaking out of the rebound adjuster, can i just rebuild the air sleeve and it''ll be good again?
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andino
    haha thanks...this may be my excuse to upgrade to an RP23 but i need to get the cash together first. The fluids were leaking out of the rebound adjuster, can i just rebuild the air sleeve and it''ll be good again?
    Same thing happened to mine. I had to send it back to Fox. Don't worry about it, it only took them a freaking month to fix mine

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    meh that's lame...should i give them a call first? this is the first time i've blown a shock out >.<
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

thecentralscrutinizer
    It doesn't take much to cause the Triad to screw up in some way it seems. Take it back to the bike shop you bought it from. In some cases they may be able to make the repairs to the shock thus avoiding the long turn around times some of us have experienced.
    Last edited by mopartodd; 01-29-2007 at 05:13 PM.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Andino, if the oil was leaking out of....

the rebound adjuster you've blown the damper. Just doing and air sleave service will NOT fix the problem. You'll have to send it back to Fox. The damper requires special service (pressurized nitrogen charge) after being rebuilt and filled with oil. 99% of bike shops do not have the proper equipment to do this. It's just to darned expensive. But definately take it back to the shop where you purchased the bike. It may be less serious than that, though I doubt it. Anyway the bottom line is the shock will most likely have to go back to Fox for repair. What I would do, if possible, is pick up an RP23, send the Triad back to Fox, and when it comes back keep it as a back up. The RP23 while markedly better than the Triad, hasn't been 100% problem free either. But then again no shock is. So having a back up available can be real handy in avoiding down time should anything go wrong, or when sending in your primary shock for regular service.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004

spare shock..good advice

Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    r. What I would do, if possible, is pick up an RP23, send the Triad back to Fox, and when it comes back keep it as a back up. The RP23 while markedly better than the Triad, hasn't been 100% problem free either. But then again no shock is. So having a back up available can be real handy in avoiding down time should anything go wrong, or when sending in your primary shock for regular service.

Good Dirt
    My 06 Triad sucked since new. I sent it to Push to hopefully make it better. What I got was a shock that was different, but not much better. Don't misunderstand me here, Push only did a seal and fluid change, that was all the service they provided for the 06 vintage Triad. The design of the Triad may very well be good, but the quality control certainly is $hit. It seems that no two of these perform the same...except maybe mine, MoparTodd's and Lumbee's.

Anyway, I got an RP23 from a Cdale Rush. It has the exact eye to eye and stroke that our Stumpy's have, so it's a direct bolt in.After two rides, the 07 RP23 stuck down. Outside air temp was 40 degrees.

A simple air sleeve maintenance should repair the 23. I'll keep the Triad for a backup, that's for sure.

I never tire of saying this...the Stumpy is a terrific chassis that the Triad was the weak link of. On the first ride with the RP23., I knew it was the right choice.

The last 15 miles of my second ride was with a stuck down shock. It was thru the most technical section of our local loop, and my favorite. Even being stuck down, the RP23 performed better than my healthy Triad.

Contact your local CDale dealer and beat them up to get a good price. List is about $365, you should be able to get 10-15% off anyway. It will transform the chassis.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    that's what i'm considering but i just purchased a new front fork, the day before to be exact, and the triad blew out on me so no spare cash at the moment. I'm going to call the local cdale dealer today to see if they can order me the RP23 from the rush and the cost of doing so. Should i just call fox about my triad and they'll give the the RA number or whatever is needed so i can send it in?
    Thanks,
    Andy
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    well just got off the phone with fox and the local shop. Going to send the triad into fox in a few minutes and then i'm gonna head over to the local Helens Cycle's to get a quote on the RP23 on the Cdale Rush. Hopefully everything works out and i can get a shock or maybe call the local spesh dealer to maybe get a test bike til my shock gets in
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    We had a Stumpy come into the shop w/ a stuck down Traid. Called Fox, they send out a rebuild kit to the shop along w/ instructions, and we rebuilt it, the guy was back up running in less than a week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I need to send this one in, it's leaking out of the rebound knob so the dampener needs a rebuild
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    well i send my triad in...i'm in the same state as Fox so does anyone thing it'll be a little quicker on the return? What do they usually send back with?
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

Trying a little
    Quote Originally Posted by z71
    welcome to the Fox Triad crap out club.
    I can't join. 2 yrs riding singletrack avg of 40 miles per week I'm 190lbs never had to touch my triad ( '04 model ).

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Andino
    I need to send this one in, it's leaking out of the rebound knob so the dampener needs a rebuild
    I had the same thing happen to me this weekend to the Triad on my 06 Stumpy. What turnaround time did you get and what did the repair cost?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    turn around was about 4 weeks including shipping times and the repair. my repair was done under warranty so it cost me nothing. GL with your shock
    Andy
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Has anyone experienced these types of problems with the '07 Triad? I've got 100 miles on mine since getting the bike a month ago, and am wondering what I might expect in the future.

mtbr member
    Yea, no issue with my '04 triad either...

mtbr member
    I have a 2007 and it works great. I thought it was leaking, but now I question whether it was the pump acting weird. However, the shop rebuilt it (free under warranty) and it has been fine.