mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Black or White S-Works Epic WC?

I guess it doesn't really matter.... My road bike and Stumpjumper FSR are both black, so I thought I would try something different and go white, but I'm having second thoughts. Which do you prefer?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'd go black over white for my mtn bike. However, I went red for my Epic over black or white.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would go white they look fantastic and a bit different to usual Spec red/black..maybe not the best colour for hiding the mud/dirt but that wouldn't put me off. Sadly we get the Henry Ford option of any colour as long as it black for the WC, non World cup and Frameset and for that reason my money will be staying in my pocket

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Dirtrag has some pictures of the white version out in a natural environment. It can be hard to tell on the Spesh website against the white background.

Personally I still prefer the black, but I know what you mean about having bikes the same colour. Both are awesome looking bikes so I doubt you'll think about it a month down the line. (If you had a definite favourite you wouldn't have asked :-)

mtbr member

Black or White S-Works Epic WC?

The white frame is likely to be a little heavier than the black frame. The reason being that it takes more coats of paint to get a solid white finish with no imperfections. The extra paint required adds weight to the frame.

Specialized introduced a new lightweight black colour finish with minimal paint and decals for the 2013 model year bikes, This is probably used on the black 2014 S-Works Epic WC also. It was supposed to save 80 or 90g over a fully painted frame:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/07/10/...er-carve-more/

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I will try to call Specialized tomorrow and ask them about the weight difference between white and black paint. I had not thought of that, but looking at my S-works Stumpy FSR you are probably right. The red parts of the bike are high gloss and more thickly painted than the black on the top half of the top tube, for example. I'm not sure 80gm will be the thing that either gets me on, or keeps me off the podium though....

mtbr member
    When I bought my 2013 s works epic frame I had the choice if the matt black and the gloss white one.Both were at my LBS so I weighed them.Matt black was 30g lighter in size M.I went with the gloss white,the matt bikes tend to look crap after a few months.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I went to a different bike shop that had the shiny black version seen on the website, and it looked pretty good. It becomes a little much with the white S-Works, white grips and seat, and the white roval on the wheels, but I could live with it. The guy at the shop thought the shiny black would age better than the gloss white. I have to see if the shop that I ordered from and is sponsoring my racing, can make a deal with the other shop that has the black bike. If they can't make it work, I guess I'm waiting longer.

mtbr member
    White SW Epic WC med on order.

Looks refreshing! I'll survive the extra 30-80 grams.

The black frame looks great as well, but with so many more graphics this year the white decals on black frame are too busy for my taste.

White doesn't show as much of the scratches and scuffs as much as black.
    14 SW Epic WC fm arrived!
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4 lb
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -27
    11 SW Epic29 -22.1
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CarManDSL View Post
    White doesn't show as much of the scratches and scuffs as much as black.
    I was thinking the opposite, with dark carbon underneath the paint....

mtbr member
    Go to your nearest shopping center on a sunny day and compare all the clean black cars to clean white cars.

The white parts of my 2011 SW Epic frame still look like new. The black areas, clear over carbon, show all the scratches and look used.
    14 SW Epic WC fm arrived!
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4 lb
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -27
    11 SW Epic29 -22.1
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37