mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Black Ano S-Works SJ frame - 2005 or 2006?

Hi, quick question. Did the 2006 S-works Stumpjumper frame ever come in ano black, or was it brown only? Is the 2005 S-Works frame the black one?

And what year did they start putting the AFR shock on their S-Works frame? If I'm not mistaken, the AFR Brain was introduced on 2007 bikes.

The reason I ask is because there was a Black Ano Stumpjumper S-Works frame with AFR Brain being sold that was listed as a 2006 - though it is a custom build.

Or does Specialized sell frames alone that come in different colors than the complete bikes? What color was 2006 S-Works SJ frame for other countries?
    Last edited by solara; 12-07-2007 at 12:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solara
    Hi, quick question. Did the 2006 S-works Stumpjumper frame ever come in ano black, or was it brown only? Is the 2005 S-Works frame the black one?

And what year did they start putting the AFR shock on their S-Works frame? If I'm not mistaken, the AFR Brain was introduced on 2007 bikes.

The reason I ask is because there was a Black Ano Stumpjumper S-Works frame with AFR Brain being sold that was listed as a 2006 - though it is a custom build.

Or does Specialized sell frames alone that come in different colors than the complete bikes? What color was 2006 S-Works SJ frame for other countries?
    The 2006 Stumpjumper frame was available in black,brown, or silver/grey anodize here in the US. It had a Fox Brain shock.
    I have a silver one and its a great bike - I wanted a black one though

mtbr member

2006 Stumpjumper S-Works with 2007 AFR

There was an eBay seller named o_cyclism_o selling black 2006 Stumpjumper S-Works with 2007 AFR, and some forum members bought it. The only problem is that in case AFR needs a repair, Specialized is refusing to repair it, even if the owner is willing to pay for the repair. And that is a problem because there is no Maintenance Manual for DIY. There are a bunch of posts about this issue, look for messages from forum member THALOR.

This policy is bad for Specialized owners because their bikes value will drop in the second hand market, a potential buyer will never know if Specialized will agree to repair the AFR or not so he will prefer to buy a less problematic bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Word of warning regarding the Ebay seller o_cyclism_o. The bikes they are selling DO NOT come with serial numbers. I know because I bought one from them. I've had no problems with the bike but I wish it had a serial number and if I had known in the first place I would not have bought the bike. I can only hope nothing ever goes wrong with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Even if it had a serial number, you wouldn't get any warranty service from Specialized anyways. But no, I did not buy from that seller.
    I'm curious though - how can the frame not have a serial number? Fake, black market?

mtbr member
    Even if it had a serial number, you wouldn't get any warranty service from Specialized anyways. But no, I did not buy from that seller.
    I'm curious though - how can the frame not have a serial number? Fake, black market?
    Look up Thalor and check out his posts; that should cover most of your questions. The lack of a serial number is problematic when submitting for repair, even if you're willing to pay for it, due to many companies (such as Specialized) not willing to support possible stolen goods. I can't really say I mind that, as my last bike was stolen, but I guess it has its downside too.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman-Spiff
    And that is a problem because there is no Maintenance Manual for DIY.
    DIY will be hard in any case, as soon as you open up the BRAIN cylinder - or do you have nitrogen at home, to re-fill it?

However, it's still a problem of course.
    Meanwhile I did send the shock to an independent suspension service center. They managed to identify the defect but are not able to repair due to a lack of appropriate spareparts.
    Besides that when rebuilding the shock they screwed oil volumes and/or weight and/or nitrogen pressure. So currently my shock is totally screwed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Driver
    The lack of a serial number is problematic when submitting for repair, even if you're willing to pay for it, due to many companies (such as Specialized) not willing to support possible stolen goods.
    It was not stolen, If you read the Thalor post, Serial Number was not filed or removed, it never existed, Bottom Bracket is neat and Serial was never embossed on it. Frame is perfect, and when inspected by Specialized dealers they could not find any difference or deffect.

Probably when Specialized switched to 2007 model, the Taiwanese frame builder that works for Specialized had a remanent of 2006 frames and they decided to sell them anyway. Chinese sellers never give up to lose money...