mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Which Bike Would You Pick ?? Specialized P2 or FSR ??

Hi,

I am new to the forums and looking to purchase a bike. I used to ride BMX waaaay back in the day when I was in my teens and was good at it. I am 29 now and I figure I would hop into the mountain bike scene...

I am looking at two bikes on eBay...

1997 FSR Full Suspension 18" Frame - Seller says bike is in excellent condition
    2004 P2 - Seller says bike is in excellent condition

I live in Wichita, KS so everything here is pretty much flatland. I am looking to tear up some street and hit some trails. The FSR is only 24 pounds and is full suspension but is an older model frame/components. The P2 is probably heavier than 24 pounds but is much newer.

What bike would you choose and why? Any help here is appreciated. They are both around the same price so don't include cost in your suggestion.

Thanks!

Brian

mtbr member
    May 2008
    are you wanting to do large drops and jumps? because if so the FSR isnt for you!
    Ride hard or go home!

08 Specialized Myka Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Not really... I am just looking for something that is versatile, responsive, and rides good and solid.

I would probably be better off with the p2 huh?

AussieLostInNyc
    for now given your background and the first thing you mentioned was 'street' I would go the P2.
    The 97 FSR is a decades old bike relative to the advances in tunable suspension etc.
    You would be better off with a cheaper brand / bike that is more recent or new.

Be warned the BB height is low on the P2, fine for street and DJ perhaps but I can't ride mine on trails, besides me being to tall for it I catch the pedals a bit.
    I love it on the DJ but I am new to that game.
    good luck
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Don't buy an 11 y.o. bike. Technology has moved leaps and bounds since '97...
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the responses guys. I went ahead and bought the 2004 P2. I picked it up for $450 which is an oooohkay price given the bike was $750 new.

I was reading about some of the components and noticed some of the heavier riders didn't particularly like the forks (Marzocchi EXR Comp) because they didn't provide enough adjustment. I am a 240 pound bodybuilder so I have the feeling I won't be able to get the forks tight enough.

What would you guys recommend ad a decent fork for this type of bike that allows good adjustment?

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I don't have any particular suggestions, but you'll probably want a coil fork with springs stiff enough for your body weight.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

Members who have read this thread: 0