mtbr member

Bike size help back problems

i am 5.7 Currently i ride 2006 specialized FSR pro medium size i believe it would 17" if i ride for long time especially when i am climbing up my back starts to hurt nothing like excruciating pain just very uncomfortable. is the bike to large for me should i get small size i
    have the opportunity to purchase 2006 Specialized Epic small size frame. would that solve my problem thanks.

this is my current bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Find a shop to do a bike fit.

Just looking at the photo I can see your seat is jammed all the way forward and it appears as though you have had to put a smaller stem on the bike. If this is what you have to do to make the bike fit - then i would say it is too big. However things like the length of your torso compared to your leg length also have a big part of bike fit and the only way to get a truly good fit is to have someone set you up on a fit machine or several different bikes.

BTW: The only time i have had back problems was from being too cramped on a bike smaller than what I should have been on.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If your seated position is somewhat upright , u can expect some pain in your lower back pain on longer rides . Likewise if u tend to strech for the bars and lean forwards your mid back will screem after a few hours on the bike.Ideally somewhere in the middle is best . I think at 5 ' '7'' a small sized frame would be a better fit . JCC above said your torso length and leg lengths all come into play , he's 100 % correct . It seems like your already trying to shorten your cockpit by moving your seat to forwards .I've been a chiropractor for about 12 years , If your back is hurting , your body is talking to you , you have to change something or it will get worse . Good luck

mtbr member
    thanks for the helpful responses

Members who have read this thread: 0