The Green Machine
    Dec 2007

Bike purchasing advice needed

I've been away from riding for 10+ years. I've looked around on the internet and so far I've gotten down to two bikes I wanna get that I THINK are comparable. Both 2007 frames, First choise is the Jamis XAM (2.0 prefered). That bike and that colorway just moves something inside .Second is the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp. It seems that the Jamis is heavier but better equipped.

I really like both bikes, but like the look of the Jamis better. The SJ has the advantage of having a wider dealer network, seemingly better deals, (non of my LBS have any XAM's to even look at, don't know if its even possible to get one.) free maintanence, cool 90 day no pay and or finance options, etc.

I'm gonna get the opinion of the Jamis guys. Would also like the opinions of you Specialized guys as to the best course of action to take to get whatever bike it is that you reccomend and the cheapest way of getting it.

Sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks in advance.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Jamis bikes have had good reviews in the bike mags so you can't go wrong with either bike. Problem is that the XAM is really a different bike than the SJ. The SJ would be more of a cross country trail bike and the XAM is a beefier build.

If you are looking for something to ride XC trails, then the SJ will likely be a better handler and climber with lower weight. The XAM is really going to be more bike than you need and will not be as good a climber. If you want to ride rougher trails with more drops, jumps, etc, then the XAM would be the way to go. The SJ can handle this kind of riding, but it's not really the best use of the bike.

It all depends on the kind of riding you plan to do. The XAM is a pretty beefy build and made for rougher terrain and will be heavier, while the SJ is a faster bike on XC trails. Each bike would be capable out of their main element, though it wouldn't be ideal.

The Green Machine
    Dec 2007
    Back in the day when I rode I really liked single track, technical stuff, and of course going down hill (nothing extreme). I figured the Specialized FSR XC was their cross country bike. I just want a bike that can do it all and that won't leave me wanting more (as in upgrading in a years time).

mtbr member
    As far as specialized goes, the stumpjumper fsr is pretty close to their swiss army knife. I think you'd be pretty happy with it. The epic and fsrxc are "cross country". The pitch and enduro sl are "all mountain". The stumpjumper is really right in the middle as I see it. You could always do "all mountain" on a "cross country" bike or vise versa if you're not racing. It's just the "freeride" and "downhill" stuff that will begin breaking things mostly. Who invented all these terms...