Rob Munro

bike feels "loose" lately?

I've been beating the hell out of my 05 FSRXC Comp for the past 5 months on expert terrain. Rocks, drops, several hard spills, and even had it on the expert downhill trails at Jiminy Peak (not exactly ideal for the terrain, but it was a rush getting through that stuff). Over the past week or so the bike has felt a bit squirrelly especially on fast rocky singletrack. Mostly in the front end, I can definitely feel it if I trackstand and wobble the handlebars. Needless to say it's not confidence inspiring.

Is there something I can check to tighten it all back up again, or is this increasing flex natural that I'll need to get used to?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Munro
    I've been beating the hell out of my 05 FSRXC Comp for the past 5 months on expert terrain. Rocks, drops, several hard spills, and even had it on the expert downhill trails at Jiminy Peak (not exactly ideal for the terrain, but it was a rush getting through that stuff). Over the past week or so the bike has felt a bit squirrelly especially on fast rocky singletrack. Mostly in the front end, I can definitely feel it if I trackstand and wobble the handlebars. Needless to say it's not confidence inspiring.

Is there something I can check to tighten it all back up again, or is this increasing flex natural that I'll need to get used to?
    Check for head set slop, place one hand on the upper cup and spacer of the headset and apply the front brake w/the other hand. If you feel movement between the spacer and cup when rocking the bike fore and aft you need to adjust or replace the headset. My exp is the Specd headsets are cheese and burn sooner than later.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It could also be your fork bushings...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Munro

Check the front axle, it has a tendency to loosen itself.

mtbr member
    Check your shock pressure.

Rob Munro
    hey guys, thanks for the info. I like to give an update when I figure out the original problem for anyone who may search the topic some day.

turns out it was a combination of a few factors.

1. my fork was loose inside the headset. I already had an FSA Pig DH pro (extra weight is not a concern and I wanted something really tough), so I had that installed and it completely tightened up my front end again.

2. my tire pressure was way too low. put it back to 40 front/rear and made a huge difference.

3. rear shock air pressure - might have been a touch low. I'm not sure what effect that could have on side to side feel, but it was good to get the shock back to the right pressure for me.

4. checked the torque on all the frame/swingarm/suspension mount bolts. every one of them was at least a few inch lbs too loose.

Again, just a few things to try for anyone who runs into a similar issue.