mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Bike Dilemma: Build up my 2010 Rockhopper or buy a 2010 FSRxc or 2011 Camber

Hi All,

Right now I'm rather torn between upgrading my 2010 Rockhopper Comp Disc or buying a new 2010 FSRxc Comp or 2011 Camber Comp.

It looks like the RH frame has very similar geometry to the race proven Stuntjumper HT, perhaps a little less aggressive and recreational, but still appears to be a solid HT race bike platform to build on. Seems like the biggest differences between the two frames would be M4 vs M5 construction, 70 degrees vs 70.5 degree HTA, 100mm fork geometry vs 90mm fork geometry, longer vs shorter wheelbase, and shorter vs longer head tube length as you compare the RH to the SJ respectively. So it looks like the RH frame would still be a good platform for me to build a nice HT race bike from.

On the other hand, I've been itching to get on something with full suspension. I've demoed a few FS bikes from my LBS and I've got to say its rather nice not using my knees as the rear shock and not having them aching after a good day's ride. I've been wanting something that's not too much worse on the climbs, but have been looking forward to having a lot more fun on the downs. It seems like a FS bike would also be a lot less punishing in rock gardens, log overs, and roots.

Right now I could get the 2010 FSRxc for $1400 on sale from $1550. Is this a decent deal for a bike that could have been sitting on the shop floor since Fall 2009? Or I could pick up a 2011 Camber for around $1600 to $1650.

I know the Camber has the new inline rear shock which is supposed to stiffen up the whole rear of the bike. It also has a Recon TK Silver solo air fork and Ario RL air rear shock as compared to the FSRxc's Tora SL coil fork and the X Fusion 02RLA air rear shock. Besides that it looks like the FSRxc is a better buy. The drivetrain components are Shimano on both, but the FSRxc has higher end shimano. The FSRxc also has a 2.2 tire on the front whereas the Camber has 2.0 front and rear. Although the Camber has DT Swiss and Specialized wheelsets and the FSRxc has Alex rims and no-name hubs.

So should I build up my RH into a race ready HT rig or should I spend that money and get a FS XC/Trail bike? Making it worse is that my RH needs a new crankset, a cost that comes very close to the 20% down payment needed for either of the FS bikes. I'm 5'10" 168 lbs, and ride mainly XC singletrack both smooth and technical.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sounds like you already convinced yourself yuo want either the FSR or the Camber. I seay pic out the two the one you like the most and feel better with. I don't know what your intentions are with the RH but you can always keep it and make it into a SS onr later on build it torace if you wanted to.

Before you start upgrading and building think how much it'd cost you to get all the components you want to upgrade. Take it from me. I bought a 2011 RH 3 months ago and the only thing left form the original bike is the frame(wich I'm gonna change as well) I think you would be better off getting either of the FS bikes.

I personally; big time PERSOANLLY would go for the Camber but that's up to you now. Camber is a brand new bike so you have to take it for what it is. Not alot of people have ridden it enough to give you a good review yet.

Good Luck.

Trying not to kill myself
    I'd go with the Camber. From everything I've read, it's a big improvement over the FSRxc, and you're getting a bike that's very similar to a Stumpy FSR at a much lower price. Those that own one seem to universally love it, and shops around here can't keep them in stock. Given that the price difference is a couple hundred bucks or less, I'd go with the newer model rather than a discontinued one.

Building up a race-ready HT is a whole different ball of wax. I recently picked up a Stumpy HT with some racing upgrades, and it's a great bike. It's so lightweight & fast and I have a blast hammering the trail for an hour or two. After that, I can really start to feel it the next day (trails around here are VERY rooty). It's a world of difference when I go back to my FS HiFi, which I can ride for hours and not have a sore ass and knees the next day. Having the choice between the two is great, but if I had to sell one, it would be the XC race bike. A good FS is just a better all around rig for my needs.

Is it Friday yet?
    I have a Camber Comp and love it. The shock is the big miss on this bike, but you have to go all the way up to the Expert to get to a Triad. I'm going to buy a Float RP2 and replace the Ario. The other big downside is that it weighs 30 lbs!

Oh, and I've heard they had a lot of problems with that X-Fusion shock on the FSRxc. I have no data to back this up though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    As for weight, my 17" 26er RH comp weighs about 30.6 pounds so a 30 pound FS bike doesn't sound too bad to me.

Trying not to kill myself
    Quote Originally Posted by mmckechnie
    As for weight, my 17" 26er RH comp weighs about 30.6 pounds so a 30 pound FS bike doesn't sound too bad to me.
    When you are talking about sub $2K FS bikes, there's only so much that can be done about the weight. 30lbs isn't unreasonable for a bike in your price range, and over time you can always lighten it up if you need to. My HiFi is around 29lbs, and I don't spend a lot of time worrying about the weight when it's soaking up roots and rocks on a trail. Even when climbing, where the weight can have the most impact, I feel that it's offset by the better rear traction you get with FS.