mtbr member

Bike decision time: Has anyone ridden a Camber Evo?

I am looking into getting a new bike for the upcoming season. I have a Karate Monkey that takes care of XC racing and some ultra endurance stuff. I'm looking for trail bike that I can do endurance back country riding and also hit up the local dh trails and lift access parks here in southern Appalachia from time to time.

I work for a Specialized shop and have narrow my choices down to the Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29, the SJ FSR Comp Evo 29, or the Camber Evo 29. I have gotten to ride the two Stumpjumpers and liked both, but found the Evo to be a little to lazy on the climbs and the normal SJ to not be as fun on the steeper descents. I have not gotten to ride the Camber Evo but like the idea of a little less travel and slacker angles. Seems like a combo that could be fun.

Has anyone put any amount of time on the Camber Evo? If so what are you thoughts on long distance riding on it and super steep, techie descents? Thanks.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    Love my Camber EVO. Used to ride a 2011 SW Stumpy, which I loved, but the Camber EVO is right in my wheelhouse. I'm more inclined for an all-day Henry Coe ride, but I can handle the bombs at Demo and UC. The EVO handles both with aplomb. Of course, plush is plush, more travel is more travel (sorry for the tautologies), but the 120mm is "just right." Like the Spesh marketing says, "More of what you need, less of what you don't."

It helps that the Pike is the best g0d damn fork on the market right now, and the Fox shock does what it does well.
    Bike decision time: Has anyone ridden a Camber Evo?-my-camber-sw-evo.jpg

mtbr member
    I would love to order the carbon Evo, but it is not in the cards for me. The base Evo has the Reba RL on it which has always treated me well, but I have never had one bumped to 120, so am unsure on how stiff it would be.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    @Brazilian Did you shorten the normal Pike? What´s the weight of your very nice Camber?
    Was your Stumpy also 29"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamusWave View Post
    @Brazilian Did you shorten the normal Pike? What´s the weight of your very nice Camber?
    Was your Stumpy also 29"?
    Took a 140 and chopped 20mm off the air piston rod. 24.1#. My Stumpy was a 26. I rode a 29 Stumpy for a short while. Liked it very much...until I rode the Camber and decided that it was a much better bike for me.

(Sorry, had to add the emphasis to not get into a "Your opinion is wrong; this bike is better than that one!" internet shouting match.)