mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Which bike to buy??? Demo or Stumpjumper FSR

Okay so, I am just getting in to the sport of MTB, I have rode dirt bikes for years and I need a little advice. I live in southern MO where there is a lot of Singletrack and XC. There are a few DH trails but mostly the other two. That is why I would get the StumpjumperFSR. I am going to start going to Colorado a few times at year for some downhill action though. I also love to jump off of obstacles, and just ride up and off of stuff. That is when the Demo comes up. I also might be doing some DJ. Someone please give me some advice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Schober View Post
    Okay so, I am just getting in to the sport of MTB, I have rode dirt bikes for years and I need a little advice. I live in southern MO where there is a lot of Singletrack and XC. There are a few DH trails but mostly the other two. That is why I would get the StumpjumperFSR. I am going to start going to Colorado a few times at year for some downhill action though. I also love to jump off of obstacles, and just ride up and off of stuff. That is when the Demo comes up. I also might be doing some DJ. Someone please give me some advice
    Stumpy!!!! Goes up AND down
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Which bike to buy??? Demo or Stumpjumper FSR

Enduro as a compromise. Buy the bike that meets 95% of your needs. Rent a downhill bike if you need one in Colorado.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Is the enduro a pretty good dh bike?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Schober View Post
    Is the enduro a pretty good dh bike?
    Yes, it's fairly overbuilt for any XC riding and it will ride the DH lifts and trails without any modifications necessary.

I wouldn't advise buying it unless you have a lot of big mountains/hills to ride it on though. If you want to do dirt-jumping, get a cheap BMX bike or dirt jumping hardtail mountain bike.

The 29" stumpjumper fsr Evo is still probably more bike than you need, but it can do some pretty big descents just fine with a dropper post and has the travel and strength to do it. Given your situation, that's the "biggest" bike I'd consider. Think about this, a 29er with say 140mm of travel is going to roll down hills and obstacles better than a 26er with the same amount of travel, and there are a LOT of these bikes on the market now. For the last 5-7 years, people have been showing up on 120-140mm travel 29ers on rides where everyone else is rocking 155-180mm travel all-mtn/freeride bikes and they are killing it on the downhills, making it hard for the guys on the 155-180mm bikes to keep up. Add a dropper post to that stumpjumper evo and it's going to seriously rock the terrain, up or down. For what you are intending to do, including an occasional DH day, it would be the better bike IMO. It also does fine on the XC stuff, and while it's still a lot of travel, it's not so much "overkill" and won't feel as bad slugging up steep hills and such.

The stumpjumper won't take stupid abuse, so if you are planning on jumping off of loading docks to flat (what I used to do) nothing but the demo will do, although the demo will get wrecked doing that eventually because drops to flat are incredibly abusive on a bike. Although specialized calls their Enduro an "all mountain" bike and the stumpjumper a "trail" bike, I'd say the Enduro is closer to the upper end and into the freeride territory. The stumpjumper on the other hand is pretty solidly in the "all mountain" category, especially if you are considering the Evo model. If you are truly planning "freeride" abuse, get the freeride bike, but otherwise get the bike you'll be happy on most of the time. Cutting through the woods at mach 6 is tons of fun, even though jumps and drops are also fun.

The BEST thing to do is to rent a DH bike of course. It's hard justifying owning one when you aren't using it every weekend.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.