mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Bike Build Dilemma

Ok so i purchased a 2008 Specialized FSR xc frame online for my first dual suspension (I ride a hardtail Specialized 29er now). After looking at components i ended up buying a 2010 Motobecane 9357 on eBay for components. It seems well suited to the FSR xc 100mm travel bikes, with a 100mm Rockshox Sid Race, XTR spec, Juicy Elixir Carbon etc.

My dilemma is now that i have spent about a grand, should i get a better frame or will the 2008 FSR xc frame with the bottom of the line XFusion shock be adequate? By my bathoom scale it weighs about 6.2 lbs. I am 6'0" and like to ride really stretched out, so i got an XL frame, which is some of the weight.

It is going to be my first dual suspension and i just want to make sure i will be happy with it.

Is there any other frame that may be better suited for me? I do need a long cockpit though.

My purpose is just as a weekend warrior, i just could not pass up on the Motobecane for parts.

http://motobecane.com/26/f9357.html

I am turning 30 this year though, so i am going to commit to entering a race, but if i finish second from last i will be happy.

Pat
    Last edited by aupatman; 01-27-2011 at 03:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    nobody has replied so i figured i would give my own thread a bump. The Motobecane was delivered today and actually does weight 21.0 lbs without pedals. I have seen all the way down to 2.7lbs for that frame (which seems optimistic), so i figure my build with the FSR xc should be about 24.5 lbs conservatively.

Plus some weight for Better tires, seat with a little more padding, pedals, but I think i am going to go for it. Hopefully the 2.7lbs is very optimistic and the entire bike may weigh under 26 lbs.

The spec will be somewhat similar to an Epic Expert Evo only i have to deal with the X-Fusion shock and no flowcontrol brain.
    Last edited by aupatman; 01-28-2011 at 08:47 PM.