Thread: Big Hit

Wait, what!?

Big Hit

I know there a lot of topics on the SL, the Stumpy, Rockhopper, Epic, yea yea yea, but I want to know a bit about the Big Hit. I have gotten into some light downhill riding here in AZ, but I dont want to continue beating the piss out of my SL.

What I want to know is if what I have heard about the BH is true at all. A few guys have told me that the cranks and BB are placed too far back, making for an odd pedaling position. Is there any truth to this? Do those of you who own Big Hits notice that at all? Its a 7 inch travel bike (right?) and I think that will be plenty for what I will use it for, but I want to make sure this isnt a common census before I start looking for one seriously. I did find an 05 that seemed like a good deal, but I just cant swing it right now.

I know I should go test ride one to see for myself, obviously, but opinions from others isn ever a bad thing! Thanks

dirt visionary
    Never noticed it on my 05 bighit but then again I didn't pedal it much unless I was standing going down .

My big hit was 8.2"

The new ones 08 are 8.2 or 7.5 inch rear wheel. Also I have seen alot of them local for under a 1000 for the older and the newer style. As a matter of fact the one I sold is listed on craigslist .Still in great shape. However keep in mind the bighit has more freeride geo than dh geo but will do fine for both.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    yeah donno what they're talking about, the bighit is pretty ideal for getting into dh riding, it cheap, good angles/geo, its strong, good linkage, and doesn't weigh a ton. I have one for sale for 300 bucks if you're interested (actually I do, its a "complete bike" but its not all together, its my loaner bike and i need money for rent, but i'll probably end up selling it locally to avoid hassle of shipping)

anyway, I never had any problems pedaling mine, sure it pedaled like crap, but thats what happens when you have a crappy van r on a 7 inch bike

Wait, what!?
    Clock, I have been eyeing an 05 for a couple days on CL actually. Seems like a nice deal, I just wish I could pull the trigger on it.

Will, PM the the details if you can. You never know! I think my next bike will be a TT/Road bike, as I am going to start competing in tri events (maybe as early as next spring) but with any luck, and a nice amount of OT I will have 2 new [to me] bikes in the stable by the end of the year.

mtbr member
    I have an '06 Big Hit and absolutely love it. I got it stock and have since replaced the garbage Marz. Drop-off triple with a boxxer team on the front and the vanilla with a dhx 5.0 coil in the rear. I have also changed out some other components to lighten it up a bit. There is nothing that bike cannot handle. I would definately look into a bighit

Wait, what!?
    Will, I got your PM. Last night I guess I thought I was still in the AZ section, thats why I looked over the want or need to "sell it local," haha. Clock posts over there too, and thats just my first instinct.

Thanks for all the info and opinions so far though guys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    dosnt the 05 model have a 24" rear wheel? i have a brand new 08 big hit I and i love it. I use it for freeride and dh. I changed to a 9 speed and put x7 shifters on it. i also have a dhx 5.0 on mine. ofcourse it wont pedal like your SL, but hey, its a freeride bike and it works great for that. my buddy has a big hit III and he loves it. he has upgraded the hell out of it and that not something he would do if he didnt like it. id go for it if i were you, just try and get atleast an 06.

Wait, what!?
    Alright, the 05 DOES have the 24in rear wheel? I noticed that one ad mentioned it, but I guess I never paid much attention. Wouldnt that make your pedals, feet, and cranks hit he ground more often?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ya i just double checked. Its def. a 24" rear. Umm, i dont know. Ive never ridden a 24". I guess it would be more likely to happen though, especially on a dh bike.
    08 BigHit FSR

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    pre 05 was 24" r. Some people like it some people don't. Acceleration is rad,cornering is rad, you can really pop out of corners, it gives it a really low BB height, but if you ride really rocky stuff then its not so good I ride mostly rocky stuff, so i'm not a huge fan of the 24" rear, but if you don't ride super chunk 24/7 is pretty sweet

Chillin the Most
    FWIW with regards to the 24" wheels and pedal strikes, keep in mind that the Pre-05 bikes where designed for the 24 and therefore the bottom bracket height was taken into account.

I had an 03 nad never had an issue with smacking pedals.