Jul 2004

betd link for 03 enduro

anyone tried it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Just got the BETD link for 03 Enduro Pro

Quote Originally Posted by shvedraki
    anyone tried it?
    I just installed it the other day. Had my first ride yesterday. It delivers as advertised. I get 6" of rear travel. I have matched that with the Marz All Mtn1 130mm - 150mm fork and I've now got a nice plush 5" - 6" long-travel trail bike.

With 6" front and rear, the bottom bracket height is 14", which doesn't bother me at all. Some people may think that's a little tall, but not me. I did try flipping the link, but that reduced the travel to approx 5.5" and BB height to 13.5". So i flipped it back to normal to get the full 6". I may try it again in the future.

With the larget link/plate you need to increase the air pressure/spring rate in your rear shock b/c of the extra leverage. I use to run the rear shock at 155 - 160 psi, now i'm running at 180psi, with the 20% sag. I weigh 175 lbs.

My Enduro came with the Fox Float RL Enduro (on the fly short and long travel adjustment). The stock link gave me 4" or 5" of on-the-fly travel, now with the BETD I get 5" and 6" on-the-fly.

Here's a shot of the bike and betd link plate:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    What about angles?
    Performance?
    JC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by evo5
    What about angles?
    Performance?
    JC
    Performance?
    I've only been out on one ride, but the trail is one that I hit all the time, so I had something to compare to. The trail itself is tight technical singletrack with switchbacks, short steep climbs /descents, some man made drops of 2' - 2.5', rock gardens and teeter-totters. Overall the ride was great! I got my full 6" of travel, it took the short drops very nicely and the short steep climbs were not a problem at all. I didn't notice any additional bobbing or bouncing. It seemed a little stiff at first, but might have been b/c i had increase my air pressure too much. I will continue to tweak the shock settings, but overall I am very pleased with the upgrade.

Angles?
    I haven't calculated the angles, but will probably do that this evening just out of curiosity. To be honest I've never worried about it. As long as I can both climb and descend I'm happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... More thoughts on the BETD

Quote Originally Posted by enduro
    Performance?
    I've only been out on one ride, but the trail is one that I hit all the time, so I had something to compare to. The trail itself is tight technical singletrack with switchbacks, short steep climbs /descents, some man made drops of 2' - 2.5', rock gardens and teeter-totters. Overall the ride was great! I got my full 6" of travel, it took the short drops very nicely and the short steep climbs were not a problem at all. I didn't notice any additional bobbing or bouncing. It seemed a little stiff at first, but might have been b/c i had increase my air pressure too much. I will continue to tweak the shock settings, but overall I am very pleased with the upgrade.

Angles?
    I haven't calculated the angles, but will probably do that this evening just out of curiosity. To be honest I've never worried about it. As long as I can both climb and descend I'm happy.

I took it for a 2nd ride last night. Did some night riding. It was fantastic. The bike felt solid and plush. Climbed very well, just like it did with the stock linkage plate. Having both 6" in front and rear really balances things. I could really feel the rear glide over roots and rocks. The drops were solid and smooth. So far I am very pleased with the results of the BETD plate. The extra inch of travel is very nice to have.

As for the angles, still haven't measured them but I'm guessing with the All Mtn1 fork set to 6" the head angle is around 69 - 70 degrees. It works great for me, I can still climb and keep with front wheel on the ground.

Are you talking to me?

Cost?

What was the cost of the BETD link? Was it difficult to install?
    gfy

mtbr member

Leverage ratios??

I took it for a 2nd ride last night. Did some night riding. It was fantastic. The bike felt solid and plush. Climbed very well, just like it did with the stock linkage plate. Having both 6" in front and rear really balances things. I could really feel the rear glide over roots and rocks. The drops were solid and smooth. So far I am very pleased with the results of the BETD plate. The extra inch of travel is very nice to have.

As for the angles, still haven't measured them but I'm guessing with the All Mtn1 fork set to 6" the head angle is around 69 - 70 degrees. It works great for me, I can still climb and keep with front wheel on the ground.
    I've read some stuff about these BETD links really messing w/ the leverage ratios (any engineers out there? Is that the right term I'm thinking of?)...thats how they get more travel out of your same shock...
    Did you 'feel' any difference in the way the bike went thru its travel? I know that is totally subjective...but I also wonder about the added stress that will put on your frame w/ those increased leverage ratios..
    Please keep us updated on your observations, E.

Thanks,

John
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cost?

Quote Originally Posted by damion
    What was the cost of the BETD link? Was it difficult to install?
    Cost?
    $200 (US) at http://www.betd.co.uk. It was on back order from BETD so it took about 6 weeks to get it. A little costly, but cheaper than buying a new 6" travel bike.

Installation?
    Installation was a breeze, although I had to press the washers into the plate, they didn't fit perfectly like they did on the original specialized plate. Just used a vice and pressed them in. So far no problems. Just have to make sure the bolts are torqued correctly.

I've been on 4 rides with it now and so far it's been worth every penny for me.

-Enduro

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... I'm not an engineer, but just a user...

Quote Originally Posted by Biker75
    I've read some stuff about these BETD links really messing w/ the leverage ratios (any engineers out there? Is that the right term I'm thinking of?)...thats how they get more travel out of your same shock...
    Did you 'feel' any difference in the way the bike went thru its travel? I know that is totally subjective...but I also wonder about the added stress that will put on your frame w/ those increased leverage ratios..
    Please keep us updated on your observations, E.

Thanks,

John
    John,
    I really haven't noticed any difference in the way the bike goes through the travel still very smooth. Although b/c of the added leverage, I did have to increase the shock pressure by about 20psi to get my 25% sag. With gear I weigh 180lbs. With my stock setup I ran the shock at 155 - 160psi with 25% sag, now I run with 180psi and still get 25% sag.

I'm keeping an eye on the bolts to make sure they're properly torqued before every ride and haven't had any loosen on me so far. Overall I am very please with the performance. The bike handles the same if not better than my stock setup. I feel like I am able to glide over sections that use to slow me down a little.

Along with getting the BETD link, I swapped out the fox talas rlc with a Marz All Mtn 1 130mm - 150mm (found a great deal online $428 at CBO after price smash). Having a 6" x 6" makes riding that much more fun and really didn't change the angles if at all. I realize these changes void the frame warranty, but I don't do big drops or jumps and I'm not a heavy rider. The bike still handles very well. I believe it's a true all mountain bike now. It climbs, descends and handles tight switchback without any problems.

i'll keep you posted on how things are working out.

-Enduro

mtbr member
    John,

I realize these changes void the frame warranty, but I don't do big drops or jumps and I'm not a heavy rider. Enduro

--just keep all the old parts just in case!

john
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

old parts...

Quote Originally Posted by Biker75
    --just keep all the old parts just in case!

john
    Definitely. They're just waiting to be swapped out if needed.

-Enduro

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I just installed it the other day. Had my first ride yesterday. It delivers as advertised. I get 6" of rear travel. I have matched that with the Marz All Mtn1 130mm - 150mm fork and I've now got a nice plush 5" - 6" long-travel trail bike.
    I'd be very interested in how you get on with the BETD link and 6" forks.

On paper at least, I could combine the BETD link with a Pace RC40 fighter (which adjusts from 120 - 150mm travel) and can be specc'd with a 20mm bolt through. That way I'd have a lightweight setup (30lb), a stiff fork and have travel which adjusts between 5.2" and 6.0" at either end, plus gives me some BB breathing space for rocky XC descents.

Please keep us updated here!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... 03 Enduro Pro 6" x 6" update...

Quote Originally Posted by PJMatthes
    I'd be very interested in how you get on with the BETD link and 6" forks.

On paper at least, I could combine the BETD link with a Pace RC40 fighter (which adjusts from 120 - 150mm travel) and can be specc'd with a 20mm bolt through. That way I'd have a lightweight setup (30lb), a stiff fork and have travel which adjusts between 5.2" and 6.0" at either end, plus gives me some BB breathing space for rocky XC descents.

Please keep us updated here!
    So I've been on quite a few more rides with my new setup and I'm still enjoying it thoroughly. I have not had any problems as of this post. I'm *not* getting any new creaking sounds or flexing in the frame etc. The ride is still very plush. I mainly ride with my fork dialed in at 6" and the rear I adjust on the fly between 5" and 6" using the iTch switch.
    But I mainly ride with 6" in the back. The bike continues to be great for all day rides on any type of trail from tight twisty technical to fireroad descents.