Trying a little

betd on bighit - asking not telling

on 05 and older bighits, how's the performance with the betd (or other) link that give you the 26" wheel clearance. just asking.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    What do you weigh? If you are a light rider that may work out for you. The leverage ratios force you into having to have a impossibly strong spring or an incredible amount of presure in a shock to get the correct sag and ride.

HR

Trying a little
    thanks. what else can you tell me about this ( I guess you have or have had that setup ) in particular - still has stiff, still get the 8.1" travel?

mtbr member
    No I never did it. I determined that the spring rate i would need for proper sag would be impossible to get. Its just not feasable for a heavier guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    My previous bike was a Bighit with a BETD 26" chainstay.
    Here's some info I posted in other threads :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 24" wheel isn't that bad, it has pro's and con's.
    What most people forget is that a good shock with the correct setup is far more important/noticeable than the size of your rearwheel.

I rode with dual 26" for a year and it holds it's speed better and rolls easier over stuff.
    For high speed and rough sections it was super, but in tight technical sections and sharp turns, especially switchbacks it wasn't that great., the bike felt long and slow.
    I also had a shorter 5th element (8.5" instead of 8.75") to get the geo I wanted.

I'm back on the 24" now, because I wanted a shorter chainstay, lower BB and a slacker headangle. I also have the shorter eye2eye 5th on there, the BB height is now 13.8"
    the headangle is 66* and the short chainstay is super easy to switch lines, manual, wheelie and rail through corners.

The travel on the 26" version with 8.75" shock was 8.9"
    The travel on the 24" version with 8.75" shock was 8.1"
    The travel on the 24" version with 8.5" shock was 7.3"

The 'version' with the 7.3" travel suits my riding style the most.
    The BETD seatstay is a very decent product, but it expensive and
    you could spend elsewhere...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I have the BETD linkage. pic of my 26" er
    The chain stay is 20mm longer and the BB is 5mm higher than with the 24" seat stay, the travel is 8.9" with the biglink (instead of 8.1")
    I have absolutely no clearance issues.
    The longer chain stay is great for high speed and the rough stuff.
    The wheelbase on my Large BH is 46.6", wich is on the long(er) side.
    It's a little less for tight and slow technical stuff.

I had a Fox RC ( 8.75" x 2.75" ) and switched to a shorter ( 8.5" x 2.5" ) 5th element, so my head angle is a little slacker and the BB is a tad lower than with the original 24" seat stay and I still have +/- 8" travel.

I bought the bike second hand with the 26" and 24" seat stays included.
    The BETD link is a good product, well crafted, its works great, but I don’t think it's worth 600$.
    I would invest that money in better suspension or other upgrades.
    The 24" isn't as bad as most people say or think, I tried both and you 'can' notice the difference, but it's not 'that' much better for freeriding and hucking around. (except for DH racing)

The brake jack on my Stinky was noticable, but I got used to it.
    I don't know how the new Stinky's will perform, but I'm sure they got a lot better than the previous model.

My Large Bighit with dual 26" wheels and the original FOX RC 8.75" x 2.75".

Trying a little
    thx for the replies good info. now I just need to find a good deal on a new 24" wheel