Humpmaster general

Betd for 2004 Stumpy

I am thinking about the Betd link for my 2004 Stumpjumper.

My question is
    I feel like I am pressing the limits of my Fox Float now. I am 230 lbs and run my pressure at 250 psi. I hear the max pressure is 300psi for the shock.

Switching to the Betd link will cause me to run a higher pressure right?

Will I exceed 300psi to get the same feel out of the 120mm Betd link that I had with the 100mm stock link?
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The BETD link would push your...

compression ratio from 2.6 to 1 up to 3.1 to 1. That might be pushing the envelope for the 1.5" stoke Fox. If I remember correctly you are running a 130mm fork on the front of your Stumpy now correct? That would account for needing the 250psi. If I recall the info that I got from BETD the new link set to 130mm raises the bottom bracket height a bit (almost 1", .80" if I remember right) so this may compensate some by leveling out the bike and moving rider weight a little more forward again so that you won't need to increase your pressure that much. But then again to prevent bottoming you may still have to with the higher leverage ratio. However, there is one bright spot with the linkage, it also allows for a 105mm setting! This could be solution to the problem if there is one. Granted it's an expensive way to find out should it not work out for you, but...get the linkage, try out the 130mm travel setting. If you can stay within 10 or 15 psi of your 250psi then you'd be okay I would think. If not then you could always pop the shock into the 105mm travel hole and run it like that. I realize that the purpose of this exercise is to push the rear to 130mm, but at least there is a safety valve there. My guess is though that you'll find with the leveling of the bike and redistribution of rider weight the 250psi setting that you are currently at will be pretty close to what you'll have to run. I'm sure that there are a raft of equations and calculations that can give you the answer for this question, but they are beyond me. I'm no suspension engineer. Maybe somebody here with an engineering degree or better math skils will show that I'm all wet. But I'd be almost willing to bet that your settings will end up darned close to where they are right now. All you can do is try it. I am considering it myself to be honest.

Good Dirt
    Last edited by Squash; 10-06-2005 at 08:40 PM.
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Humpmaster general
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    compression ratio from 2.6 to 1 up to 3.1 to 1. That might be pushing the envelope for the 1.5" stoke Fox. If I remember correctly you are running a 130mm fork on the front of your Stumpy now correct? That would account for needing the 250psi. If I recall the info that I got from BETD the new link set to 130mm raises the bottom bracket height a bit (almost 1", .80" if I remember right) so this may compensate some by leveling out the bike and moving rider weight a little more forward again so that you won't need to increase your pressure that much. But then again to prevent bottoming you may still have to with the higher leverage ratio. However, there is one bright spot with the linkage, it also allows for a 105mm setting! This could be solution to the problem if there is one. Granted it's an expensive way to find out should it not work out for you, but...get the linkage, try out the 130mm travel setting. If you can stay within 10 or 15 psi of your 250psi then you'd be okay I would think. If not then you could always pop the shock into the 105mm travel hole and run it like that. I realize that the purpose of this exercise is to push the rear to 130mm, but at least there is a safety valve there. My guess is though that you'll find with the leveling of the bike and redistribution of rider weight the 250psi setting that you are currently at will be pretty close to what you'll have to run. I'm sure that there are a raft of equations and calculations that can give you the answer for this question, but they are beyond me. I'm no suspension engineer. Maybe somebody here with an engineering degree or better math skils will show that I'm all wet. But I'd be almost willing to bet that your settings will end up darned close to where they are right now. All you can do is try it. I am considering it myself to be honest.

Good Dirt

I still have the 100mm black up front. I would switch to a 130mm fork if I went with the Betd link. I guess I could give it a try and sell it if I did not like it.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Sorry, your handle rang a bell with a guy that

had a 130 on the front and was having to run 250 in his fox. He was worried about pushing the max rec psi on his shock. Hmmm...well if you are running it at 100/100 now you may well be pushing the envelope. Like I said all you can do is try it and see. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    had a 130 on the front and was having to run 250 in his fox. He was worried about pushing the max rec psi on his shock. Hmmm...well if you are running it at 100/100 now you may well be pushing the envelope. Like I said all you can do is try it and see. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Good Dirt
    BETD have a picturee of the link on there web site and are taking pre orders.