mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Best method to convert the S-Works Crankset to 1x???

I recently purchased an S-Works crankset for my Stumpy Marathon and would like to run it with a single chain ring up front. I do not have the crankset spider but would buy it if needed. So far I've found these guys for spideress rings:
    Titanium Spiderless Chainrings

It seems a spiderless ring would be the most elegant / simplest solution. Unfortunately, the things are $140 and have an 8 week wait to order. Are there any other spiderless options I'm missing? So far, the cheapest alternative I've found is to buy the 5 bolt 110 BCD spider and use a SS road chain ring (cringing at the thought). What have you guys done to get around this hurdle?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If you are open to using the SRAM XX1 chain ring, you could go to your local Spec dealer, or just call Spec up and ask where you can get a spider for the XX1 chain rings.

They have them on the s-works SRAM epic and stumpy HT, so they do exists....

Upside is you can ditch the chain guard. You might need the sram 11-speed chain though to fit the XX1 chain ring - need to check with your LBS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Looking at that spiderless chainring. Wouldnt the chainline be way off if used as a single speed. I would think it would replicate the big ring in a 3x9 setup?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jd1072 View Post
    I recently purchased an S-Works crankset for my Stumpy Marathon and would like to run it with a single chain ring up front. I do not have the crankset spider but would buy it if needed. So far I've found these guys for spideress rings:
    Titanium Spiderless Chainrings

It seems a spiderless ring would be the most elegant / simplest solution. Unfortunately, the things are $140 and have an 8 week wait to order. Are there any other spiderless options I'm missing? So far, the cheapest alternative I've found is to buy the 5 bolt 110 BCD spider and use a SS road chain ring (cringing at the thought). What have you guys done to get around this hurdle?
    I wrestled with this very issue. I decided to go with the S-Works triple spider since it has a 104BCD and is a 4 bolt. I was told (by a Specialized employee) that the 5 bolt spider will not work. Not a definitive reason why but something to do with chain line and chainstay clearance. This is a bit confusing because I've seen Burry Stander and Christoph Sauser run A 5 bolt spider. If you do decide to go xx1, let me know how successful you are in getting a spider to accommodate that crank. Since those bikes are so rare, I would not be surprised if they are made to order a la the rear shocks on the sworks models.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Deleted - incorrect
    Last edited by CarManDSL; 11-14-2012 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Incorrect advice
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Triple spider, 33t mounted in the middle position.
    You could run a Lightning spider and save some weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic View Post
    I wrestled with this very issue. I decided to go with the S-Works triple spider since it has a 104BCD and is a 4 bolt. I was told (by a Specialized employee) that the 5 bolt spider will not work. Not a definitive reason why but something to do with chain line and chainstay clearance. This is a bit confusing because I've seen Burry Stander and Christoph Sauser run A 5 bolt spider. If you do decide to go xx1, let me know how successful you are in getting a spider to accommodate that crank. Since those bikes are so rare, I would not be surprised if they are made to order a la the rear shocks on the sworks models.

Erich,

Thanks for the help! Can you let me know where you found the spider, or point me to a part #? I've not been able to find this spider as it seems all the ones around these days are the newer XX spider. I'd like having the chainring options using a 104 BCD setup.

The XX1 option is prohibitively expensive, parts are hard to find, and there are few chain ring options. Hopefully that will change in the future, but for now I like the 104 option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    MRP has a spiderless chainring info HERE

one of my friends is using one on XO cranks and has no complaints.
    Juice

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    MRP has a spiderless chainring info HERE

one of my friends is using one on XO cranks and has no complaints.
    Nice ring, but it won't work with the S-Works crankset. The spline is completely different.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well I just got the Lighning Crank Spider and works great with my S-works crank but only as a SS. Wouldnt be able to set it up as 3x9 but might be able to do 2x9 but I use it as a SS and has a perfect Chainline and only 35 grams....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Triple spiders, rings mounted in the middle position. Works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    yeah but this Lightning spider is inward about 5mm more which puts the chainline right in the middle 5th tooth when my 3x9 spider from specialized centered it around the 6-7th ring in rear. I like the chainline and gram loss for the Lighning IMO in SS applications...

mtbr member
    Would the Lightning spider work on a 1x10 then?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yes it would be fine

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I ended up going with the lightening 104 bcd triple spider and it works great setup as 1x10. was able to get chain line centered with the middle of the cassette. Lightening spider was $60 and saved a few grams

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yes works perfectly for 1x9 but can't get it to work for 2x10 or 3x9 but for 1x9 it is perfect. For 2x9 or 3x9 I have to use the old spider

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    What size of chainring you´re thinkinjg?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    S-Works XX spider + Renthal S4 120 ring. Perfect combo for 1x

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hi,
    Just got a lightning spider (64/104) to run a 1x9 setup with S-work cranks. I didn't realize the lightning lockring was different than the Specialized lockring. Does anyone know if a park tool BBT-7 (for a 6-spline XTR/Dura Ace) bottom bracket fits the Lightning lockring?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    We bought the removal tool as well when we bought ours...