Soft AND Tender
    Jun 2005

New question here. Best lube for FSR pivots?

Can anyone suggest the best lubricant and the best procedure for lubing the pivots on a 2005 FSR frame? Thanks for the help.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by cbratt
    Can anyone suggest the best lubricant and the best procedure for lubing the pivots on a 2005 FSR frame? Thanks for the help.

That bike has sealed cartridge bearings. You don't need to lube them. Unless you want to take them apart. I think most would just replace them if they start to get rough.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    as the other guy said they use all sealed bearings in the pivots but if they start to feel a bit scractch you can pry the rubber seal off and repack the bearings with grease. i/ve found this tends to be more of a short term solution (i think its because the bearings seals aren't meant to be removed) but it certainly works for a bit. if you can feel play in the bearing then chances are the cage that holds the ball bearings in place is mashed and its time for new bearings...

formerly Gobike69

FSR Pivot Lube

The folks at Specialized say that you need to lube the pivots with a drop of oil after every ride or bike wash. I've found a drop of Phil's Tenacious Oil works fine but Specialized says that motor oil works ok too. If you have some laying around, using synthetic motor oil will work as well as anything at a fraction of the price. It doesn't take much and remember to wipe off the excess. Just because a bearing is "sealed" doesn't mean it doesn't need maintenance. If it moves, lube it!
    Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gobike69
    The folks at Specialized say that you need to lube the pivots with a drop of oil after every ride or bike wash. I've found a drop of Phil's Tenacious Oil works fine but Specialized says that motor oil works ok too. If you have some laying around, using synthetic motor oil will work as well as anything at a fraction of the price. It doesn't take much and remember to wipe off the excess. Just because a bearing is "sealed" doesn't mean it doesn't need maintenance. If it moves, lube it!
    That might just attract dirt.
    Since the bearings are sealed, dripping oil into the pivots might just gunk them up. Like whippet said, you can add fresh grease to the bearings if you pry the seals off. Every sealed bearing I've looked at wasn't very full of grease, so this might be worth doing, as long as you don't damage the seals while you're at it.

formerly Gobike69

Your choice

I think I'll stick with what the Specialized tech guy and common sense says. Good luck
    Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?

ballbuster

Don't lube the bushings

Quote Originally Posted by cbratt
    On a side note:

The shock bushings should not be lubed. They are lubed at the factory with a dry lube coating.

Yeah, I would stay away from lubing the bearings, unless you manage to take the frame apart and remove the bearing seals. Reality is, if the grease in the bearings gets contaminated with water and dirt, you need to remove the bearing and flush out all the grease and crud in a solvent tank. Good frickin luck doing this while still pressed in a frame member. At that point, you may as well replace the bearing.

Personally, I like to repack new bearings with Phil Wood grease before pressing them in. I dunno if that makes any real world difference, but it make me feel like it would last longer.