mtbr member
    Mar 2005

New question here. Best Fork for EPIC

I just ordered an '06 EPIC Comp last night but wanted your help on fork selection.

It comes stock with a Fox F100RL, which does not have the inertial brain feature. The higher end EPICs come with the Fox F100X which does have the inertial brain feature.

I'm interested if others think it would be worth upgrading to the F100X fork?

Feedback I've got from the guys at the LBS include the following:
    -Get the F100X for better efficiency.
    -Don't get it because you can't "pre-load" it by weighting it and compressing it before woop-de-doos.

Also I'm wondering if the seal issues from '05 Fox forks have been fixed for '06?

Any help appreciated!

-Eric

mtbr member
    I have two 05 RLT80s (one on my S-Works HT and one on my S-Works Epic). I have had them both about a year with no issues at all. I had a Sid on my epic but didn't care for the flex (especially with disc brakes) and opted for a RLT80 instead of F80X Terralogic. The RLT is lighter and still has a lockout if you need it. I find in my racing and riding in general that I very rairly lock it out unless I am on super smooth terrain or asphalt. And you can tune the fork to become active at what ever sensitivity you want. MHO.

mtbr member

What's the deal?

You just ordered an 06epic and already want to upgrade the fork?
    Unless your getting a smoking deal on the $775 F100x, and need to trade in the 100RL to get the 100x then go for it. Otherwise, the 100rl is a great fork and you would be happy with it just the same.
    For what it's worth I had the 100rl and sold it to get the 100x on my s-works epic. The teralogic 100x is strong and fantastic fork that will out last most frames. It is very adjustable and I have had zero problems with it. I race for fun but do race which is why I got the 100x to begin with. Oh and I got a smokin deal on the price which made it available otherwise I wouldnt have changed it.
    Hope this helps and dosent confuse you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I'm sure I'd be happy either way but...

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer
    You just ordered an 06epic and already want to upgrade the fork?
    Unless your getting a smoking deal on the $775 F100x, and need to trade in the 100RL to get the 100x then go for it. Otherwise, the 100rl is a great fork and you would be happy with it just the same.
    For what it's worth I had the 100rl and sold it to get the 100x on my s-works epic. The teralogic 100x is strong and fantastic fork that will out last most frames. It is very adjustable and I have had zero problems with it. I race for fun but do race which is why I got the 100x to begin with. Oh and I got a smokin deal on the price which made it available otherwise I wouldnt have changed it.
    Hope this helps and dosent confuse you.
    Thanks for the responce.

I'm sure I'd be happy even keeping the F100RL but here are my thoughts:
    -I don't get new bikes often, but when I do I like to get just what I want.
    -If I upgrade right away, I can sell the F100RL for more, claiming that it's basically new.
    -I know I like the brain in the back, so why not have it in the front too.
    -I've found some good deals on new F100X forks.

I figure either way, I'll be happy. I'm just knitpicking.

-Eric

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    this year the epic DOES NOT come with the F100x at any price level. Specialized has stopped stocking the F100X on any epic model. They stock the 100RL on lower models, and the RLT on the higher end models. The brain is more active than ever. If i were you and you had to upgrade, I would get the XTT model. It is simmilar to the inertia valve but not quite as high a threshold, more trail friendly, just like the rear of the epic for 06. The only bikes that are getting the "X" are the high end hard tails.

Good luck!

mtbr member

Don't get XTT

The XTT has 130mm of travel. That is too much for the Epic and would really slow down the steering. Go with the F100X or the R7 Manituo. But 100mm forks to match the rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

OK so F100X Versus F100RLT???

OK now I'm on the same page as everyone else. I was looking at the '05 catalog and didn't realize the higher-end '06 EPICs had the RLT and not the X like the '05s.

So it looks like the RLT is a little lighter than the X but doesn't have the "brain" feature.

Is one better than the other?

Fox must think so since the X has an MSRP of about $125 more than the RLT. I wonder if Specialized thinks the RLT is better than the X or they are just saving money. Maybe it's just personal preference...

Which one do you think would be better for an EPIC?

-Eric

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Again, look at the 05 spec. They had the 100x on the high end epics. This year they are stocking the RLT's on the epics. I think they felt that a lot of people felt that the epics were a little too harsh. That is why they made the brain a lot more active and more "trail tuned" vs. "race tuned". That is why they stocked the RLT, a more "trail" fork than race fork.

mtbr member

RLT, X & XTT

Specialized apparently changed their fork specs from X forks to RLT models because there were seal problems with 2005 X forks. Plus it saves them a little bit money...

BTW: Float XTT can be converted from 130mm to 100mm travel just like the older Floats could be converted between 80mm and 100mm.

K n e e m o i
    F100X is either ON or OFF, which I don't like. I am going with the RLT on my new bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Best Sources for F100RLT?

I guess I'm leaning toward the R100RLT based on everything I've heard so far.

So I'm guessing that the answer to this question is simply ebay, but does anyone have a line on low-cost sources for new F100RLT forks?

Cheers,
    Eric

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rentschl
    I just ordered an '06 EPIC Comp last night but wanted your help on fork selection.

It comes stock with a Fox F100RL, which does not have the inertial brain feature. The higher end EPICs come with the Fox F100X which does have the inertial brain feature.

I'm interested if others think it would be worth upgrading to the F100X fork?

Feedback I've got from the guys at the LBS include the following:
    -Get the F100X for better efficiency.
    -Don't get it because you can't "pre-load" it by weighting it and compressing it before woop-de-doos.

Also I'm wondering if the seal issues from '05 Fox forks have been fixed for '06?

Any help appreciated!

-Eric

I have the 05 Talas 130 mm on my 04 Comp Epic, and the talas makes the suspension more tweakable and comfy. It compliments the Brain very nicely.

mtbr member

go for the fx

I've got a fx cartridge for my f100s and it goes beautifully with the epic rear end feel. It feels weird to start with, there is that on/off feel, just like the back, but you get used to it pretty soon. I love not having to stuff around with lockout levers etc., you just ride it and forget about tweaking knobs. I love being able to power out of the saddle without bobbing, just watch out in case the fork breaks through the threshold and plunges down. Try and ride a set before you make up your mind.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Although I do like the F100X I don't think its worth the effort. I've ridden both inertia and non back to back and it didn't make a difference in handling or comfort.
    My .02