mtbr member

Best bang for the buck 2014 Epic ?

Selling my sleepy Stumpy FSR 29 elite 2013,missing Epic's speed.

Sworks not an option,toying with the idea of a Marathon or an Expert. I love the full red paint the Expert gets on my market but loved the X0 setup I've had on my 2012 Expert. Carbon seatpost and bar would go on the Expert. Fact 9 vs Fact 10,I don't race,looking to buy better carbon wheels and Sworks double crank for either bike. Ah,first world problems..
    Last edited by Devastazione; 11-06-2013 at 04:08 PM.

old fart
    Mar 2010
    Expert would be the one for me. Here the Expert is a very nice matt black, has the carbon wheelset, the carbon fork crown and off course the brain front and rear. Significantly cheaper than the SW (60% of the price) you don't look like you'd be losing much.

I had a good look at a 2014 Expert in my LBS, it is a lot different from my 2011 SW, you can see where significant development has gone in; stronger BB, much better brain hose routing, cleaner cable routing, better front derailleur mounting, SRAM crank that looks very nice etc. etc. Looks like a no-brainer...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I grabbed an Expert test bike we have at the shop the day it came and rode it a few times. I thought it was excellent. Coming off a Highball Carbon, I would choose the Epic over it, especially for long distance rides/races. Haven't owned an Epic since 2010, the improvements to the Brain shock were noticeable in a good way. Fork was good too.

I didn't care for the Magura brakes' performance in the wet ( I am admittedly a Shimano guy) and the noise was unacceptable. If I bought that bike, I would replace the brakes with xt/xtr, ice tech rotors, and ditch the SLX shifters for xt/xtr as well. A ti rail saddle, carbon bar and post would be other upgrades I would do. I don't care for SRAM shifting, and the 1/2 carbon rear triangle on the Marathon doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade for the extra money over an expert.

That being said..I put in an order for an S-Works frame and will be building it up with full XTR, and a wheelset that I laced myself (King/Arch EX). Can't wait to get it in my hands!

-Gabe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel J View Post

I didn't care for the Magura brakes' performance in the wet ( I am admittedly a Shimano guy) and the noise was unacceptable. If I bought that bike, I would replace the brakes with xt/xtr, ice tech rotors, and ditch the SLX shifters for xt/xtr as well. A ti rail saddle, carbon bar and post would be other upgrades I would do. I don't care for SRAM shifting, and the 1/2 carbon rear triangle on the Marathon doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade for the extra money over an expert.
    Yeah I'm keeping my XTR M988 brakes from my Stumpy,they will go on the Epic,I don't care if they're the trail ones. Once you try Shimano brakes there is no point of going back to any other brakes,same story for the DIY quick tune ups/mainteinance,I can do it with my eyes closed when it's Shimano. The internal cable routing for the brake hose will be a pain in the @ss tho.
    I feel like the Marathon is a pretty much ready bike,while the Expert would require some extra cash for upgrades ( ditto on the shifters,5K Euro worth of bike with SLX shifters..geez…) and again…the FACT 9 vs FACT 10 carbon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Well, your looking at roughly a grand price difference. I'd go with the expert and use the cash on changing out things to your liking. Selling your Magura brakes will offset it some, too.
    I really like the color of the comp carbon, and if I were spending marathon money, I'd go with that and make it how I wanted.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Wow, that is strange. I have a 2013 Epic Marathon and my seatstays are carbon and the chainstays are Alum. I saw the 2014 had carbon chainstays, and I was bummed. But I now see the alum seatstays and I am relieved. I also had a terrible time with a different brand carbon bike with internal cable routing and I promised myself I would not do that again. Hopefully the new Epic has full length cable housing.

I have nothing bad to say about the Carbon Control rims.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Selling my sleepy Stumpy FSR 29 elite 2013,missing Epic's speed.
    Are stumpy elite really that slow? I thought the brain would make it almost as fast as the epic, and even faster when the terrain is a bit tougher?

mtbr member
    So why not look at eBay folks are blowing out their 11',12',13' Epic's to get the 14' Epic depending on your budget you could get a nice S-Works just putting the idea out there...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rularn View Post
    Are stumpy elite really that slow? I thought the brain would make it almost as fast as the epic, and even faster when the terrain is a bit tougher?
    Not even close. I mean yes it's fast but the upright position is not efficient enough to keep a proper momentum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The smart money is on the Expert WC. Cheaper than the marathon, but comes with the carbon wheels and 1x11 X01. I put a large on the scale at the LBS and it was 24.1lbs, with tubes in the wheels and the test ride pedals.

Considering it has boat anchors for saddle/seat post/bar/stem, you could get the weight down even more for pretty cheap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    The smart money is on the Expert WC. Cheaper than the marathon, but comes with the carbon wheels and 1x11 X01. I put a large on the scale at the LBS and it was 24.1lbs, with tubes in the wheels and the test ride pedals.

Considering it has boat anchors for saddle/seat post/bar/stem, you could get the weight down even more for pretty cheap.
    I'm with this guy, the WC is FACT 10M carbon, and gets a carbon chain stay plus ita a lot lighter. You would still need to replace the brakes/bar/stem/seatpost/saddle if you want to lighten it up much but such a nice bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Honestly, the brakes are pretty respectable weight wise. ~320 grams for the front and 340ish for the rear. Not much more than XTR, and lighter than a lot of the Sram offerings.

I would swap a 160mm rotor on the front and lose the adapter if you are on L or XL though.

You could easily same 50-60grams on the bar (Enve Sweep or Niner RDO), another 75 on the stem (Syntace F109), at least 100g on the seat post (Thomson Masterpiece, 3T carbon, etc), and 100g on the saddle (Fizik Antares, Selle Italia SLR, Specialized Toupe, etc). Oh and probably 50g on the grips if you switch to ESI Chunky. All of those swaps are affordable, save a ton of weight, but most importantly are for parts that will hold up to riding/racing.

Change that stuff, toss on some Ti rotor bolts and aluminum bottle cage bolts, and call it good!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeah, sorry, the brake change was for performance, not weight saving.

mtbr member
    EXPERT WC mine is M out the door 23.5lb b4 mods
    I put Masterpiece seat post, easton carbon bar, Romin Carbon saddle and XT brakes on and this bike FLIES!!!!

not much that needs to be upgraded if u were to upgrade aCarbon Comp it would cost more than what u get when buying the Expert WC stock and the frame is better 10m vs 9m and the chain stay is carbon too vs Alum

mtbr member
    May 2014

Best bang for the buck 2014 Epic ?

I have just picked up the 2014 Epic Elite. Comes kitted with SRAM XO rear derailleur, and X9 shifters, which I prefer to the XTR RD and SLS shifters on the Expert. It is also cheaper than the Expert but more expensive than the Comp Carbon (and comes with front brain). The only mod I am thinking about is some carbon wheels over the aluminiums. I'll see how the Maguras go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk