mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Bent screw shock stumpjumper fsr comp 29 2013

Hello from France,

I purchased 2 weeks ago a 4 months old stumpjumper fsr comp 29, 2013 model.
    I noticed some play between the front eyelet of the shock and its axis. When I unscrewed and removed the big Allen screw which is used as axis, bad surprise, the screw is bent.
    Did anyone ever have this problem? Does this mean that the bike has been submitted to violent impacts? Would you reommend to check other parts which could have been damaged as well by the same impacts.

Thank you for your help.

hased

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    If it was ridden hard with the shocked locked out for extended periods that can happen. Not so much beaten on but taking hits instead of absorbing them.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Used to be more common when bikes had much longer shock bolts, because the leverage imparted would allow them to bend. Most quality bikes use short bolts now, but as you have seen, even those can be compromised. Yes, it likely took some pretty significant impacts OR the bushings wore out and were never replaced. If the second option is the case, that might mean the shock eyelets in the frame have also become damaged and ovalized, which is quite bad-worst case scenario though.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Used to be more common when bikes had much longer shock bolts, because the leverage imparted would allow them to bend. Most quality bikes use short bolts now, but as you have seen, even those can be compromised. Yes, it likely took some pretty significant impacts OR the bushings wore out and were never replaced. If the second option is the case, that might mean the shock eyelets in the frame have also become damaged and ovalized, which is quite bad-worst case scenario though.
    Thank you for your comments Jayem. I agree, the screw and the bushing inside the eyelet of the shock must be replaced. However, if the hole in the frame (in the eyelet of the frame where there is a smooth hole) is enlarged or ovalized, this might be a problem because the screw will not be supported properly and might bend again. I brought the bike to a shop for repair (the guy who sold me the bike said he would pay for the repair), they told me they would replace and the shock bushing, and that after the screw is tightened at the correct torque, there is no risk even if there is some radial play between the screw and the hole in the eyelet of the frame. I do not trust their answer; when I will take back the bike, I plan to check if I can do something to reduce the play between the screw and the hole in the frame (insert a thin bushing for instance, but this might be tricky). Do you have other ideas?

Elitest thrill junkie
    No, that is usually a lost cause. I've shimmed part of a beer-can in there in some cases to try and fill the gap, but nothing at that point will ever make it better and it will continue to get loose. If there's a little gap in there, it allows the bolt to "slam" against the other side with each impact, imparting much more force than if it was snug and secure. If new bushings and bolt don't make it snug and there's still "play" in there, it calls for a new main-frame unfortunately, which sucks because only that little part of it is wrong/broken, but it will never get better and only get worse.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

It might not be that bad, it could just be the bolt. I bent a titanium bolt on my 2012 stumpjumper. Not from anything abusive or odd like riding with lockout, it just bent. Replaced it and all is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kroe View Post
    It might not be that bad, it could just be the bolt. I bent a titanium bolt on my 2012 stumpjumper. Not from anything abusive or odd like riding with lockout, it just bent. Replaced it and all is fine.
    Thank you Kroe for giving me good hope. You had a Titanium bolt on your bike, did you replace it with a steel bolt, was it a bolt from Specialized? Would anyone know the material used by Spe for this screw on the Stumpy FSR comp?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Velophil View Post
    Thank you Kroe for giving me good hope. You had a Titanium bolt on your bike, did you replace it with a steel bolt, was it a bolt from Specialized? Would anyone know the material used by Spe for this screw on the Stumpy FSR comp?
    I put in a Ti one because some of the models come with an aluminum bolt here and Ti is stronger. After bending the Ti bolt I would only use steel there.

The bolt on your comp is steel. If there is no visible damage other than to the bolt you have nothing to worry about, just replace the bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    I've seen shock bolts come loose and bend several times. New bolt and all is good!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy