2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009

Bent Rails Specialized Saddles

How common are bent rails with Specialized saddles made with hollow cromoly rails. Just interested in every bodies experience? Im a bigger guy, so I dont want to bend the rails. I bent my stock saddle rails on my rockhopper which was a specialized saddle non cromoly. The rails just bent under my weight, no rocks or anything like that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I bent 4 of them in the last 18 months or so, cr-mo and Ti. They have warrantied all of them. I am 160. I bent them on full suspension and hardtails. Go figure. Love the saddles. Won't switch.

Its a good thing my shop knows me and rides with me, otherwise they wouldn't believe it. No issues on my Toupe in 3 years, but darn if the phenom and rival just wont last. My current phenom was used all year, Ironically at the end of race season, i put on a new ti rival for comfort and in 4 rides the rails bent. Put the phenom back on still no issues.

I wouldn't say its common or an issue. I dont ride softly, but certainly I am not hard on equipment.

Aug 2009
    well I am like 330 lbs and just bought both the Format and the Sonoma Gel. I have not tried them yet, but just wanted to ask.

Is it written anywhere, that they warrant bent rails?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Specialized has one of the best warranty and customer service in the industry. I'm not sure if its written down anywhere but make a friend at a shop (read: gift a lot of beer ) and things should go extremely smooth.

Aug 2009
    Well I bought the saddles online since my shop didn't have the ones I wanted.