mtbr member

Bearing sizes, where to buy?

I have an 04 Epic S-Works. I have the suspension apart and have cleaned/re greased the bearings. It looks like there are two different size bearings on the bike, 4 of each. What size are they and where can I find them? I would like to replace them next time I have the suspension apart.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

According to the manual...

Quote Originally Posted by Cevan
    I have an 04 Epic S-Works. I have the suspension apart and have cleaned/re greased the bearings. It looks like there are two different size bearings on the bike, 4 of each. What size are they and where can I find them? I would like to replace them next time I have the suspension apart.
    If you download the manual, you can see the sizes. They are on the detailed parts diagram. The part numbers are 6802-2RS and 6800-2RS (if I remember correctly, I don't have it at hand right now). You can do an easy search on the web for those. There is another type of spherical bearing for the shock mounts, but I don't remember the code.

Cheers,
    Cris

Gravity Rides Everything
    if your shop orders from QBP (quality) they carry enduro cartridge bearings. I'd recommend the full complement enduromax ones, they are a little more durable and only slightly more expensive.

alternatively, specialized has a full rebuild kit that includes all the bearings and assorted spacers for about 50 bucks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    if your shop orders from QBP (quality) they carry enduro cartridge bearings. I'd recommend the full complement enduromax ones, they are a little more durable and only slightly more expensive.

alternatively, specialized has a full rebuild kit that includes all the bearings and assorted spacers for about 50 bucks.
    I'll second the enduro bearings, they were highly recommended. To get them faster, I ordered them through http://www.thebikebench.com/. The order was shipped promptly and they answered questions pretty quickly. My LBS originally had some Spec bearing kit that included parts for lots of different bikes and cost $95. They could have got a less expensive kit or enduro bearings, but it would have taken a lot longer. Local industrial supply shops will probably have the bearings, but you will pay a hefty premium for them. ebay is an option too, but I would be careful about the quality.
    I also upgraded to full complement bearings for the rocker link. The main pivot is spec'd for them already. Didnt upgrade the Horst links otherwise I couldn't remove them via the disassemble/reassemble the bearing (Wayneosdios) method. Of course, if I used full complement, maybe I won't have to replace them that often . Not sure how the Epic Horst link bearings are set up.

Dave

mtbr member

What are full complement bearings?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave719
    I also upgraded to full complement bearings for the rocker link. The main pivot is spec'd for them already.
    Dave
    Are they different from the ones I found on Ebay (6800 and 6802) for $10 for 10 bearings, plus $5 shipping? Can the plastic spacers on the Horst Link be purchaed?

I put everything back together last night and it was a breeze. I'm not sure how difficult it is to remove the bearings for replacement, especially from the carbon fiber link.

mtbr member

I did a little research

The best I can come up with is they have ball bearings all the way around the race. The large bearings on the link are like this. The smaller bearings have a carrier that holds maybe 6-8 balls with gaps between each ball. I supposed more balls means smooth action, and the load is distributed between more balls.