mtbr member

Bearing replacement questions

I want to replace the 8 cartridge bearings on my Specialized Epic. The manual calls for 'full complement' bearings for the 4 larger bearings. What does 'full complement' mean? I found bearings to replace these in prices from $1 each to $15.

What would happen if I used a non-full complement bearing?

mtbr platinum member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevan
    I want to replace the 8 cartridge bearings on my Specialized Epic. The manual calls for 'full complement' bearings for the 4 larger bearings. What does 'full complement' mean? I found bearings to replace these in prices from $1 each to $15.

Don't mess around with cheap bearings or you'll regret it. The best bearings are Enduro MAX bearings, which have more ball bearings (more load capacity = longer life than stock) and don't have a bearing retainer cage inside. These will last longer than the stock bearings. Enduro also repacks their bearings with Rock 'n Roll grease which is way better than stock. Go to their site and pick up thier bearing replacement kit and be done with bearing replacement for many many years! Click here for the link. Good luck.
    Last edited by bikerx40; 03-06-2006 at 07:54 AM.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

"...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Some bearings (both ball and needle type) are mounted in a bearing retainer cage that separates the bearings from each other by a slight amount. Full complement bearings are mounted in retainers that allow the bearings to touch each other (i.e. no separation). This allows you to cram more needles or balls into a given size bearing retainer, which increases the load capacity and overall bearing life.

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevan

My main pivot bearing on my Tracer went out about a year ago. I was unable to get a set of the Enduro Max full comp. right away. It took a few weeks(from Intense through my LBS) and I was not going to wait to ride. I went down to a local bearing supplier and I got a set of the regular type. I finally got the other ones in. The regular type(caged) are still in and they have worked fine for a year. When they go out, I'll change them out. I'd get the Enduro Max bearings if available. They lasted 2.5 years before 1 failed. The price of the bearings were the same.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

Sweat is just fat crying.

Man.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerx40
    Don't mess around with cheap bearings or you'll regret it. The best bearings are Enduro MAX bearings, which have more ball bearings (more load capacity = longer life than stock) and don't have a bearing retainer cage inside. These will last longer than the stock bearings. Enduro also repacks their bearings with Rock 'n Roll grease which is way better than stock. Go to their site and pick up thier bearing replacement kit and be done with bearing replacement for many many years! Click here for the link. Good luck.
    Thanks for the link, but fitty bucks?!?

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I checked the Enduro site and they don't list a bearing kit for the Stumpjumper FSR, but they say other kits coming soon. Who else makes high quality suspension bearing kits that would fit a Stumpy FSR.

jmf
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

I think the bearings reference below are for 04 stumpjumpers.

Enduro lists the link a stumpjumper exp. The actual page lists stumpjumper expert.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id104.html